question

Guinness Man

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So after reading these forums I have learned that you can adjust the focal point and how quickly it falls off (headshots) to make the background blurry. I have tried this with the aperature set as low as it can and as high as it can and the pics look the same. from f2.7-f8.0.

What am I doing wrong?

Shutter was at 1/100 and ISO at 400

thanks

It would be helpful to tell us what type of camera you are using. P&S, dslr? To get that background nice and OOF good bokeh it depends on how close you are to your subject and how far away the background is. The further the background the more out of focus the background will be. Telephoto is better for that OOF background like the 70-200 f/2.8 gl
Tj

It's known as Depth of Field (DOF). To do this, you want to use a small f/#. The distance between the subject and the background will also play a role. Can you post some examples (with exif data)? That would help people offer suggestions on what to change.

Ok Ill do that...

Camera: Cannon Powershot S5 IS

DUMB Pic, just took it real quick out back
IMG_3309.jpg

EXIF:
Camera:Canon PowerShot S5 IS
Lens:6 - 72 mm
Exposure:Manual exposure, 1/30 sec, f/2.7, ISO 400
Flash:Off, Did not fire
Focus:Single with a depth of field from about 65cm to infinity
File:2,448 × 3,264 JPEG (8.0 megapixels)

The aperture does show as f/2.7, but this is what catches my eye: "Focus:Single with a depth of field from about 65cm to infinity." This is saying that the focus is not on a particular depth or point, but rather to infinity, meaning as far as you can see will be in focus. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about your particular camera can chime in on how to change that, if it's possible.

Your main problem is that you are to far from the object resulting in a greater DOF get closer and you could have better results but the best will come from some type of camera w/ a decent lens and full control of the camera i.e. slr

Ok Ill do that...

Camera: Cannon Powershot S5 IS

DUMB Pic, just took it real quick out back

EXIF:
Camera:Canon PowerShot S5 IS
Lens:6 - 72 mm
Exposure:Manual exposure, 1/30 sec, f/2.7, ISO 400
Flash:Off, Did not fire
Focus:Single with a depth of field from about 65cm to infinity
File:2,448 × 3,264 JPEG (8.0 megapixels)

There are three factors related to DoF, aperture (lens opening), subject distance and physical sensor size. The sensors with P&S cameras are either "small" (if I'm being kind) or "tiny dinky" (if I'm being honest). The sensor size is the dominant factor affecting the DoF in your picture. The subject distance is second. The aperture is third.

The sensor size is the dominant factor affecting the DoF in your picture. The subject distance is second. The aperture is third.

Im guessing its not possible to adjust sensor size in a P&S. Is that correct. If so what can I do with my camera to take good portrait shots with a faded background.

Ive learned that I should get closer and set my aperture low. Any other possibilities. I mean it is a pretty nice camera, I realize I'm limited with a P&S.

Im guessing its not possible to adjust sensor size in a P&S. Is that correct.

Correct. Plato is referring to the physical size of the part inside the camera that 'records' the light for pictures. It's not something that's adjustable on any camera.

whoah. focus information in your exif?? Am I missing something?? I didn't know Canon did that. I have a Rebel, and was under the impression that despite the camera "knowing" subject distance (like for TTL flash metering) it didn't write it to exif.

Is there a way to get it????

Im guessing its not possible to adjust sensor size in a P&S. Is that correct.
Yes, you can't change the sensor size of your P&S.
If so what can I do with my camera to take good portrait shots with a faded background.

Ive learned that I should get closer and set my aperture low. Any other possibilities.

4 things to keep in mind...you want to use a large aperture, a long focal length (zoom out), get the camera close to the subject, make sure the subject is far from background.

Back to Basics - Depth Of Field

Depth Of Field

Tutorial: Depth Of Field

Depth Of Field Tutorial

Examples For Understanding Depth Of Field

Understanding Depth Of Field

Controlling Depth Of Field

Tutorials: Depth Of Field

Understanding Depth Of Field In Photography

things to keep in mind...you want to use a large aperture, a long focal length (zoom out), get the camera close to the subject, make sure the subject is far from background.

Thank you. These were the parameters I was looking for and what I will try. Thanks to all of you. I will eventually get this stuff. Its just hard reading something and thinking SWEET! I got it... going and doing it and not getting the results you want based on camera limitations. Once I take that shot that comes out the way I want it to, Ill be well on my way.

:)

Thanks again.

I am not as knowledgeable as some on this board are about sensors and DOF, but... I think another problem is that if I am reading the exif data correctly you're at about 6mm focal length, which will inherently result in a huge DOF. (with your camera that's probably about an 18mm equivalent, but with regards to DOF the equivalent doesn't matter).

ok, I went ahead to check out the differences in sensor size. the sensor in the S5 IS is 5.7mmx4.31mm a full framed camera such as a Canon 5DII is 36mmx24mm

If you multiply it out, the 5DII has 864mm of coverage space to 24.7ishmm for the S5 IS. This means that the 5DII's sensor is appx. 35 times larger than your Powershot.

In effect with this equipment even under the perfect conditions you will probably never get the smoothed out blur particularly with people portraits. You may be able to do most of it in post. It may not look as natural, but it's still possible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back