question

ok, I went ahead to check out the differences in sensor size. the sensor in the S5 IS is 5.7mmx4.31mm a full framed camera such as a Canon 5DII is 36mmx24mm

If you multiply it out, the 5DII has 864mm of coverage space to 24.7ishmm for the S5 IS. This means that the 5DII's sensor is appx. 35 times larger than your Powershot.

In effect with this equipment even under the perfect conditions you will probably never get the smoothed out blur particularly with people portraits. You may be able to do most of it in post. It may not look as natural, but it's still possible.

Well, thats not good news but it is insightful. Thank you for the math :)

well, it is good news and it isn't. For achieving the blurred backgrounds you'll have difficulty. But, it can be helpful for landscape type shots where you have everything in focus.

As I am personally interested in the topic, I wanted to delve a little further (and this is not in any way to make you feel bad about your camera, I'm just mentioning it, cause I think it's interesting.)

With your P&S and it's sensor size there is an effective 6x crop on it which means a few things. One is that, if you think of it this way (though it may not technically be true) if you take an image at f/2.8, it is basically going to give you the DOF of a 5DII with the same composition at F/16 (which is 6x2.8) or the DOF of an XTI at about f/11 or f/13.

Again, there are advantages and disadvantages to the DOF. You will be able to get some background blur, but that is not where that type of camera excels.

Last edited:
well, it is good news and it isn't. For achieving the blurred backgrounds you'll have difficulty. But, it can be helpful for landscape type shots where you have everything in focus.

As I am personally interested in the topic, I wanted to delve a little further (and this is not in any way to make you feel bad about your camera, I'm just mentioning it, cause I think it's interesting.)

With your P&S and it's sensor size there is an effective 6x crop on it which means a few things. One is that, if you think of it this way (though it may not technically be true) if you take an image at f/2.8, it is basically going to give you the DOF of a 5DII with the same composition at F/16 (which is 6x2.8) or the DOF of an XTI at about f/11 or f/13.

Again, there are advantages and disadvantages to the DOF. You will be able to get some background blur, but that is not where that type of camera excels.

So, if I am interested in protrait photography, I need a new camera. If I like landscape photography, Im good with the one I have. Is that a fair statement?

Sorry to simplify it, but I dont understand the math and the relationships between the cameras.

Im learning though :)

Well, yes and no.

You can use the camera you have very effectively. You just have to know its limitations. It is quite possible to take great portraits without shallow DOF. However, if you must have shallow DOF then you would need a different camera (or learn to do it in post which isn't ideal).

You're right. I just need to learn those limitations. Once I take a photo Im happy with and understand how to set my camera for certain settings, I will be a little less discouraged. Its finding that baseline that frustrates me.

All in all its a fun process and Im glad to be learning it all and thankfull for people like you who take the time to respond.

Now, if you could only make your way to VA and show me how to use the flippin' thing, that'd be great! Im free this weekend. lol

Well, yes and no.

You can use the camera you have very effectively. You just have to know its limitations. It is quite possible to take great portraits without shallow DOF. However, if you must have shallow DOF then you would need a different camera (or learn to do it in post which isn't ideal).

I think it would be fair to say that just about everyone at some point or another and usually at many points we want a very shallow DOF and that nice thrown out background. Yes to accomplish this you will need a better camera and also with a better camera you can get everything in focus i.e. small aperture and setting focus to infinity. GL!
Tj

with a better camera you can get everything in focus i.e. small aperture and setting focus to infinity. GL!
Tj

This actually isn't quite true. The primary advantage of the P&S, tiny sensor, and magnification is that with it the OP is able to get everything in focus (at least more than is possible with a better camera).

Inherently, when a camera creates a shallower DOF, you lose the deeper DOF. A 1.6 Camera with the same field of view as a full frame camera will have a much deeper DOF (one reason Crops are sometimes preferred for landscapes).

On a given P&S it's not uncommon to see DOF as 3 feet to infinity. which is something you won't see with cameras that have bigger sensors.

Most reactions

Back