Questions about batteries for original Rebel

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by ShootAndSpin, Aug 27, 2014.

1. ShootAndSpin

ShootAndSpin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello all! I'm new to these forums, so try to go easy on me. ;-)

I have an old first-generation Canon Rebel DSLR, and every battery I own for it has been dead for a couple years now. (The charge they hold will only allow 1 or 2 shots on the Rebel.) On the back of all of them all it says "Li-ion BATTERY BP-511H 7.4V". However, every site I go to in order to find a new one shows that they only have "BP-511" and "BP-511A" batteries. Will these work with my old Rebel? The pictures of the batteries look almost identical to the ones I currently own, but I just wanted to make sure before I bought them.

My second question would be this: Will my old Canon "CB-5L" charger work with these batteries?

Thanks in advance, guys!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. Niner

Niner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have an original Canon Eos Rebel. I just use standard 2CR5 batteries. NO charging...but we are talking about a film camera that has some age on it too.

3. Alexr25

Alexr25 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Any BP-511 will work in your camera without any problems and will be correctly charged by your CB-5L charger. The BP-511 battery came with various battery capacities (mAHour ratings) and letter following the BP-511 number is just an indication of the battery capacity. I don't know what the capacity of the BP-511H was but of present batteries the BP-511A has the highest capacity so that is the one I would go for.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm assuming you mean the Digital Rebel (there were Rebel 35mm film cameras as well). Just in case you're interested... Canon offers a "loyalty" program which would allow you to get a significantly newer model at a fairly good price savings. The capabilities of the newer bodies in terms of resolution, ISO range (and noise), etc. are all so vastly improved that it may be worth the phone call just to find out what deals they are offering (you have to phone them... they change the program details all the time and they never post the it on the web.)

I have a friend who had the same Digital Rebel -- when it broke he was going to pitch in the bin and shop for a new camera. I told to hold onto that camera because it's worth a significant discount toward a new one. He took advantage of the upgrade offer (it was by far the cheapest way to get a new camera) and was very happy that he did. Since the new cameras can still use the same lenses, he opted to buy just the "body only".

• Like Like x 1
  5. Edsport

Edsport No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  6. ShootAndSpin

ShootAndSpin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Thanks guys! I forgot to mention it was the DSLR version, and not the old film SLR. Sorry about that.