Questions about Canon L lenses.

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK gang, I'm in the mood of finally getting that long coveted L lens. Now, I am mainly operating with the EF 28-135 USM IS lens I got a year ago or so and I'm very pleased with it. I also own a Sigma 400 APO in Canon EF mount but unfortunately that lens works only with my EOS A2 (film) and Sigma does not offer a firmware which will enable it to work with the 5D I mean, I can still use it only at 5.6, which is ok on a tripod and daylight. But it bugs me that I can't really use it at any other f stops.

Now, over the summer, I met with another talented forum member, Brent McWirther in Jackson Hole, WY. He was using a 100-400 L IS USM Canon lens which was sweet. I liked the minimum focusing distance, as it was heck of a lot shorter than my 400mm Sigma! And the fact that one can be in between 100 and 400, according to one's needs. I was sold on the 100-400...

That is until now, when I read a few reviews, deeming it a bit too soft for any enlargements over 8x10. Hmm... Would I be better off with a 300/4 L lens?

Since I am pretty new at digital, I thought of asking you guys and girls what your preferences are and why. Help me make up my mind.

So you know what I'm after:

A Canon L lens that will allow me to get closer to the wild life, be very sharp overall, offer a true color rendition, have the IS (I'm old and decrepit and I shake with anticipation before the shot...)

Thanks y'all for your input.

Dimitri ...

Did you look at the 400mm f5.6? I keep meaning to try it ...

I am happy with my Sigma 100-300 f/4 and have used it successfully with a 1.4X TC, but I'm still using my 30D and don't make big enlargements anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back