Questions about gear and books

ukr4ever

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, i am new to this forum, therefore don't kill me if i am asking already answered questions. I am reading this forum every day and haven't found answers yet.

Now my first question, i decided to buy my first DSLR camera. So after month of thinking, reading and etc, choosing between Nikon D90, Cannon Rebel T2, and D5000 I've chosen Nikon D90 w/18-105 VR Nikon Lens. And second lens will be VR Nikkor 70-300mm. Overall is it smart move?

Second questions will be about books. Since i am new, i want to learn about exposure. I was suggested "Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera". Is it a good book, or maybe there are better alternatives? Also i need a book about digital photography in general, techniques, types, composition creation etc. Something that will give me a firm ground for developing my future skills, and making right choices.

Guys i really appreciate your answers, and help :):):)

First question: If you can afford the D90, get it. I can't speak to canons, but you will be less limited with the D90 than the 5000. Don't know anything about the 18-105, but I love my 70-300, but don't skimp and get the cheap, non-VR one. The VR is easily worth the $200 you'll spend. I took this one with my 70-300 a couple days ago.

Understanding exposure is an awesome place to start reading. It teaches a huge amount of stuff in easy to understand language.

"Understanding Exposure" is a great book. That should be your first read. Scott Kelby also has a three volume set called "The Digital Photography Book". Those are geared towards technique, composition, etc. You can buy them seperately for about $15US, or as a boxed set for like $45US. Others here might suggest other good books as well.

Hi, i am new to this forum, therefore don't kill me if i am asking already answered questions. I am reading this forum every day and haven't found answers yet. The forum has a SEARCH function you can also use.

Now my first question, i decided to buy my first DSLR camera. So after month of thinking, reading and etc, choosing between Nikon D90, Cannon Rebel T2, and D5000 I've chosen Nikon D90 w/18-105 VR Nikon Lens. And second lens will be VR Nikkor 70-300mm. Overall is it smart move? The D90 is one of the best camera values on the market today. You have some overlap there but the 70-300mm VR is a great lens value. To address the zoom overlap check out the 18-70 mm. None of these lenses will perform well in low light on a D90 because they can't be opened real wide to let in more light.

Second questions will be about books. Since i am new, i want to learn about exposure. I was suggested "Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera". Is it a good book, or maybe there are better alternatives? Also i need a book about digital photography in general, techniques, types, composition creation etc. Something that will give me a firm ground for developing my future skills, and making right choices.

Guys i really appreciate your answers, and help :):):)
"Understanding Exposure" is probably the most recommended photography book today, because it is worth having. As are Bryan Peterson's other books:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280673239&sr=1-1[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Learning-See-Creatively-Composition-Photography/dp/0817441816/ref=pd_sim_b_5[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Portraiture-Creative-People-Photography/dp/0817453911/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280673316&sr=1-1[/ame]

Scott Kelby has an inexpensive 3 book series that is essentially a collection of digital photography tutorials and is very useful to own.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Scott-Kelbys-Digital-Photography-Volumes/dp/0321678737/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280673043&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3 (9780321678737): Scott Kelby: Books[/ame]

For guidance on composition see:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Eye-Composition-Design-Digital/dp/0240809343/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280673087&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos (9780240809342): Michael Freeman: Books[/ame]

and:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Picture-This-How-Pictures-Work/dp/1587170302/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280673132&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Picture This: How Pictures Work (9781587170300): Molly Bang: Books[/ame]

What image editing software are you thinking of getting?

I have the D90 and both of those lenses and both are nice. As was suggested buy the VR 70-300, it has gotten better write ups than the non VR one. I never read the book you mentioned but have read an old Kodak "Joy of Photography" and recently Ton Ang's "Fundamentals of Photography"; both good books. IMO, you don't need a specific book on "digital" photography to take good photos, all photography is the same. After you take the photo is where film and digital separate and this is what you need to learn.

DO NOT try and learn both at the same time - your camera will be dificult enough to learn right off the bat; post processing will also be difficult to learn as well but you do need to learn both. I am transitioning from a film camera and this is what I have found - both are very different.

Thnkx guys... all your information was very helpful.... I will be getting books you suggesting too :D

Buy old books, and shoot with new gear.

"Understanding Exposure" is the best book you will ever read. There is a reason its recommended, it good.

If you want an excellent foundation text for the fundamentals of photography you can't go far wrong with the latest edition of Michael Langford's [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Langfords-Basic-Photography-Eighth-photographers/dp/0240520351"]Basic Photography[/ame]. It goes a bit deeper, and is more accurate than Understanding Exposure.

Best,
Helen

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on the 70-300. I would save an extra 200 bucks, and go for the 18-200, it's a far superior lens with a more useful focal range. Also, don't let people tell you how much better the D90 is than the D5000. The internals are the same on both of them. With the 90, you will be getting a few little things that aren't available on the 5000, but overall, you will produce images with equal quality. The D5000 is sort of like a more affordable D90. Get the 5000, and with the extra 200 bucks, get the 18-200...

I'm reading Understanding Exposure now (recommended by my photog teacher) and so far it seems pretty good but haven't gotten too far in.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on the 70-300. I would save an extra 200 bucks, and go for the 18-200, it's a far superior lens with a more useful focal range........
Nikon's 70-300 VR is one if their best lens values.

Nikon's 18-200 is one of their worst lens values and doesn't approach the optical quality of the 70-300 VR. The only saving grace for the 18-200 is convenience.

If you want an excellent foundation text for the fundamentals of photography you can't go far wrong with the latest edition of Michael Langford's Basic Photography. It goes a bit deeper, and is more accurate than Understanding Exposure.

Best,
Helen

I've not seen the understanding exposure over here but I'll second Helen's reco, the follow up "Advanced Photography" is a good reference book too, my daughter took mine to college and I haven't seen it since. H

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back