Questions about Light Meter

MOREGONE

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

Got an opportunity to pick up a Sekonic light meter at a good price and realized I had some questions

What is the baseline for the metering? So a general auto exposure is taking the scene and assuming it is 18% gray, what is the flash meter basing off of?

For metering flash, does it have to be sync'ed? The model I am getting (Sekonic L-358) has an optional pocket wizard attachment. I don't use PW but can trigger flash remotely, do they have to be sync'ed or will it just read after it see's the flash?

Thanks

The flash metering is based off of the flash exposure at the point where the meter is located. You don't need to sync the flash to the meter, simply press the metering button on the actual meter and then trigger the flash. The meter will "look" for strobed light for a set peridod (usually 2-5 seconds).

In basic terms, the meter measures the pulse of strobed light and determines whether there is sufficient illumination based on the aperture and ISO set to produce a "correct" exposure. Depending on the meter, there are quite a few more functions that may be available (I'm not terribly familiar with the 358).

Last edited:
Thank you. Good to know I do not need to to sync it.

While I trust the device to get the right exposure I was just wondering how it interprets that.

The L-358 is a great tool... probably the single best purchase I made to improve my photography... Really helps when multiple off-camera flashes are introduced and making sure you get it right the first time.....I know some people can look at the image on their display and judge the exposure off that and the histogram, but I was not getting consistent results with that method. I also like that it measures ambient and sets up your percentage of artificial to ambient...You will enjoy the way it improves your photography...

As an owner/user of the L-358 I would suggest that syncing the meter with the flash is not only easy but to my way of thinking gives the best results. There is a sync port on the L-358. While I am a PW user and have the module in mine, there is a PC port on the L-358. Just plug a transmitter of your choice into the L-358 and you are good to go. If you haven't you might want to download this. http://www.sekonic.com/downloads/l-358_english.pdf

For metering flash, does it have to be sync'ed? The model I am getting (Sekonic L-358) has an optional pocket wizard attachment. I don't use PW but can trigger flash remotely, do they have to be sync'ed or will it just read after it see's the flash?

Thanks

being able to fire the flash from the meter is ideal.

The L-358 is a great tool... probably the single best purchase I made to improve my photography... Really helps when multiple off-camera flashes are introduced and making sure you get it right the first time.....I know some people can look at the image on their display and judge the exposure off that and the histogram, but I was not getting consistent results with that method. I also like that it measures ambient and sets up your percentage of artificial to ambient...You will enjoy the way it improves your photography...

Could you tell me a little about what you mean where you say it measures the percentage of artificial light to ambient? Thanks

This is a feature which essentially allows the meter to do simultaneous readings; one for ambient light and one for strobed. It then determines how much of the exposure (usually expressed in percent) is attributed to the strobe. This is useful when you have a specific look in mind, and just want to add strobed light for fill, or a very specific look.

Most reactions

Back