Questions about the Nikon D3000 and versatility

Chipotles088

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I've been looking at the Nikon D3000 (and D5000) lately, but I was wondering how limiting I might find these cameras next to more "advanced" ones like the D90.

I know the D3000 is geared more towards entry-level photographers for its ease of use, but will it become more and more restricting with the greater experience the user gains? Or would one find that it has all the same functionality and versatility as the higher-level DSLRs, once they learn how to use it?

If not, what's missing? What would, say, the D90 or D300 provide that this one couldn't?

I'm sure the D3000 is a great camera for a beginning DSLR user, but I'm wondering how quickly one might out-grow it and get that itch for a camera with more bang.

Any thoughts?

I'm also wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the D3000's menu system, and lack of control points outside the rear of the camera. Is it relatively easy to control camera settings - even in full manual mode - in this manner? Or does it prove to be slow and cumbersome work? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

I am not an expert ,but to me the biggest differences that I've noticed between the d40 and a d90 are the low light performances and the image quality for snap shots.

you can get great images from any camera if you take the time to get the light and exposure correct, but the usable ISO range seems to be better on the higher end cameras compared to the the entry level cameras

the entry level cameras are super easy to use right out of the box i think, but after playing with any camera and reading the manual it all will come to you pretty quickly

i'd say if you think you will really enjoy it get the best you can afford, but i think many people would disagree with me on that point :D

It should certainly be pointed out that the entry level Nikon DSLR cameras like those mentioned, lack the internal AF motor of the higher bodies like the D90 etc. This means that only some Nikkor lenses will be able to auto focus with the entry level bodies.
While this may not be an issue for everyone, it might be for you.

I have the d3000 as my first foray into the DSLR. I've had it for about 8 months and have to say that I am very happy with it still. The ISO performance under low-lighting is less than ideal, as Freeze stated. The LCD screen is 3", but is not particularly sharp. There is a Fn button that can be programmed for various settings.

Overall, it's a great camera for the price, and while I have already started to see some of the weak points, I have not regretted the purchase and hope to get another year or two with it before I feel the need to "upgrade" the body.

Glad you're enjoying it!

Overall, it's a great camera for the price, and while I have already started to see some of the weak points ...

Care to elaborate on those a little, though?

I had a D60 and had no problems with the menu driven system.

Nikon's current entry-level lineup is the D40/D3000/D5000/D90. Only the D90 has a focus motor in the body. All of these cameras have:
  • plastic bodies
  • APS-C size image sensors
  • 1/4000 minimum shutter speed
  • few if any external controls
  • lots of auto shooting modes for beginners and the P&S crowd.
  • only 12-bit lossy RAW
  • and use SD or SDHC memory cards.
Except the D40, they all have the 11 auto focus points that come with Nikon's Multi-CAM1000 auto focus module (one cross-type point (center))

The D40 and D3000 use CCD image sensors while the D5000 and D90 have CMOS image sensors that offer improved image quality and ISO performance. The D5000 and the D90 can shoot video.

The next level is Nikon's prosumer cameras the D300s and D700. Both use CF memory cards and have virtually the same array of external controls. The D700 has a full frame sensor while the D300s has an APS-C size sensor.

The D300s has Nikon's Multi-CAM3500DX auto focus module which has 51 auto focus points, 15 of them cross-type focus points. The D700 has the same Multi-CAM AF module with both the DX and the full frame FX capability.

The D300s has 2 memory card slots: 1 for an SDHC card and the other for CF memory cards.

Both the D300s and the D700 offer RAW bit depths of both 12-bits and 14-bits and a range of compression options:
  • Lossy, compressed Raw.
  • Lossless compressed Raw.
  • Or uncompressed.
The D300s also offers HD video.

Last edited:
Glad you're enjoying it!

Overall, it's a great camera for the price, and while I have already started to see some of the weak points ...

Care to elaborate on those a little, though?

-Poor ISO results in low light
-no internal AF motor (only able to autofocus with AF-S lenses)
-no video or live view(compared to d5000)
-CCD sensor (arguably not as great at CMOS)
-LCD is not sharp (lots of pics look bad on the screen, but are actually decent when viewed on computer)
-slow processing speed when using active ADR

Just a few that come to mind. Still, I do like the camera and it has worked well for my basic needs so far.

Most reactions

Back