questions re: lenses & buying a Nikon D200

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jkruppa, Mar 21, 2007.

1. jkruppa

jkruppa TPF Noob!

I've been considering buying a Nikon D200 for a while now and last weekend finally got to check one out in a local camera shop. I wasn't too impressed with the lens that comes with the camera (I believe it was a 50-120mm, I can't recall, but it didn't feel "substantial") and was wondering if it would be better to buy just the body and get the lenses separately, say a good Nikkor 50mm for starters.

A secondary question about Nikkor lenses. I assume they have the little focus disc when you look through the viewfinder, like my Minolta XD11 SLR, but just wanted to be sure. I really like being able to focus that way and would like to do so with the D200 rather than rely on autofocus for portraits, for instance.

Thanks
    Jason

2. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Hi there. The lenses won't have a split-circle or any other focusing aid, because these are not in the lenses but in the focusing screen of the camera. As you are aware the old manual-focus SLRs have these aids, but AFAIK the D200 does not. Modern autofocus SLRs/dSLRs are designed for autofocus and therefore their viewfinders display focus points; manual focusing will have to be done with just plain ground glass which is not as convenient as using the microprism or split-circle as one would have done with older cameras. Having said that, it should be possible to replace the standard focusing screen with one designed for manual focus - Nikon probably offer one and if not then try KatzEye who definitely offer D200 focusing screens.

3. jkruppa

jkruppa TPF Noob!

Of course, now that you say it, it makes sense that it's not in the lens. Doh! Yet another reason to love my SLR.