Quick Adobe Photoshop Layers Question

RONDAL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so i've been using CS3 for a few years now and just switched the CS5....i dont think the version matters for this though.

I have a photo in PS, i select an area (using quick select) and ctrl+j to get it into its own new layer.
I'll then hide the background layer clicking the eye off, and manipulate the new layer.
Say i do a photo filter, some curves and a gradient to it. I then merge all visible and have my what was selected layer all done and ready to go.

I then make my background reappear and all of a suddent he changes i made to the new layer with the filters and gradient, they change the ENTIRE background, not just the selection area I had previously created.

What am i doing wrong here?

Rather than selecting the area and creating a new layer with it, duplicate the whole layer, then make your selection and create a layer mask. The mask will hide the areas that you don't want to edit. You can then flatten the layers.

The benefit of using masks, is that you can easily adjust the mask's edges, opacity etc. For example...if, after you have made the edits, you decide that you should have selected something else, all you have to do is change the mask (you can paint it on or off).

so i've been using CS3 for a few years now and just switched the CS5....i dont think the version matters for this though.

I have a photo in PS, i select an area (using quick select) and ctrl+j to get it into its own new layer.
I'll then hide the background layer clicking the eye off, and manipulate the new layer.
Say i do a photo filter, some curves and a gradient to it. I then merge all visible and have my what was selected layer all done and ready to go.

I then make my background reappear and all of a suddent he changes i made to the new layer with the filters and gradient, they change the ENTIRE background, not just the selection area I had previously created.

What am i doing wrong here?
The selection you copied to the new layer shows a transparent background, BUT all the edits you did effect the entire layer, you just don't see them in the transparent parts of the layer, UNTIL you merged visible which puts the background behind your layer that has the transparent edits making the edits visible.

Like Mike said, make a copy of the entire layer, make your selection and then click the mask icon.

thanks boys.

i'll give it a shot when im back in front of the computer and see.

The selection you copied to the new layer shows a transparent background, BUT all the edits you did effect the entire layer, you just don't see them in the transparent parts of the layer, UNTIL you merged visible which puts the background behind your layer that has the transparent edits making the edits visible.

Not exactly. The adj. layer (photo filter or whatever) doesn't affect the transparent part of the layer below it. It "passes through" the transparent parts and affects everything below it, including the full image layer you've temporarily turned off.

If you want the adj. layer to affect only the layer immediately below it, clip the adj. layer to that layer. Alt-click on the line between the adj. layer and the one below it. When you clip one layer to another, this little bent arrow will appear:

clipej.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back