Quick C&C?!

benp2k6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.benpphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am very new to B&W photography and have developed no eye for it as of yet. Please C&C this before I print on the expensive paper :)

I can see something is just not right about it but cannot put my finger on it...

DSC01294.jpg

Rule of thirds, or lack thereof.

Thanks for the feedback, however at this point no changing the composition... And, my take on the rule of thirds (as of any rule...) it's meant to be broken :)

Can you see anything in other aspects of the photo?

I'm not sure that the rule of thirds is really applicable to this sort of shot; you'd tend to lose too much of the car I think. What does bother me is the fact that the car's set back in the image, and the background. The building is very interesting, architecturally, however it's too grey, and has way too much detail. All the lines and geometric patterns grab my eye, and I barely see the car.

It's a nice picture of a car....but that's about it. I'd love to give you more of an idea of why my opinion is so but I can't think of the best way to describe it.

It seems a little one dimensional to me, sort of flat, but that is just my opinion. Very sharp and well exposed but to be honest not very interesting. Just another car picture and they really don't tickle my fancy. But again that is just my opinion and others, I'm sure will vary.

I'm not sure what you want here- its an average picture of an expensive (?) car (I know nothing about cars). To get a kick in it, or for a more high key look, try upping the contrast +25

It seems a little one dimensional to me, sort of flat, but that is just my opinion. Very sharp and well exposed but to be honest not very interesting. Just another car picture and they really don't tickle my fancy. But again that is just my opinion and others, I'm sure will vary.

I couldn't agree more. Tirediron, thanks you nailed a big flaw in this pic. Here is a new copy with some focus drawn to the subject.

Kelly, I am going to try adding to the contrast!

DSC01294-1.jpg

man the contrast on that bmw is awsome very nice snap shoot

the background is too interesting ha it kinda distracts from the car car. the building being darker overall on the right kinda catches the eye and then you start looking at all the windows and the brick work then you realize that you aren't looking at the car anymore. just kinda how it felt to me.

honestly with the majority of the background being white and the car being dark. you might get a better attention draw towards the car if you reverted it to color again and made the color of the car pop against the bland colored background. unless of course you need it to be in B&W for the project.
just a thought

visually, I wish you took out the toll tag that is on your windshield and the thing hanging on your rear view mirror

the background is too interesting ha it kinda distracts from the car car. the building being darker overall on the right kinda catches the eye and then you start looking at all the windows and the brick work then you realize that you aren't looking at the car anymore. just kinda how it felt to me.

honestly with the majority of the background being white and the car being dark. you might get a better attention draw towards the car if you reverted it to color again and made the color of the car pop against the bland colored background. unless of course you need it to be in B&W for the project.
just a thought

I actually took this pic in B&W. I have a similar shot in color, but wanted to make a B&W shot. I know contrast is big for a B&W photo, so I thought the light bg & my dark blue car would look appealing.

visually, I wish you took out the toll tag that is on your windshield and the thing hanging on your rear view mirror

The toll tag is the little square stuck on crooked, and the hanging tag is for my parking @ school (gotta rep it :mrgreen:)

As a rule you'll get far better shots and more control over shadind if you convert colour shots to B+W in photoshop rather than trusting the camera.

I hope you don't mind, I had a tinker with it for my own amusement. I took the magnetic lasso along the top of the parapit wall, around the top of the car and right around the outside of the frame. I then added a little gaussian blur to the background building. I reckon it lessens the distraction slightly. It's a rough, rough job and the edges show but it gives you an idea if you want to spend the time on it. I'd really recommend going back to your colour image and converting it though, you'll get a better quality image.

benp2k6edit.jpg

Most reactions

Back