Quick D5000 and 50mm autofocus question

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get my hands on a 50mm to try it and see how I like before buying one. Come to think of it one of my friends that has a D300 might have one.

I believe I can get my hands on that 35mm for $156 or something like that so might pick up one of those.

Would you guys recommend getting the cheaper 50mm and manual focusing it or spending a little more for the 35mm AF-S lens for a D40 owner?

Would you guys recommend getting the cheaper 50mm and manual focusing it or spending a little more for the 35mm AF-S lens for a D40 owner?
Depends on how much you mind always focusing manually :) I'd probably recommend the 35mm AF-S.

I am thinking I will mostly be shooting people inside with a prime lens so I think the ability to focus fast would kind of be important.

To me, the 35mm.

Most likely the 35mm. But I'm not sure yet if I'm buying one now or next paycheck. Still have some christmas shopping left to do.

Although there is a 50mm on craigslist for 100 bucks that is tempting.

I am thinking I will mostly be shooting people inside with a prime lens so I think the ability to focus fast would kind of be important.

If you're shooting inside you may not have the room to get everything you want in the frame with the 50. I've got the 35 and it rarely leaves the camera (unless I'm shooting something where I need my 50-500mm Sigma).

Oops, I guess that may not be relevant to the OP.

No it is relevant because I want this lens for indoors as well.

That is a valid point, you can only fit a person or two in the frame if you're in a fairly small room

Did you get the 18-55mm lens with your D5000? If so, set it to 35 mm and set it to 50mm and check out what you can see...

Was the tip mentioned earlier? lol if not there it is, if it was, i'll re-emphasize it

Yes I do have the 18-55 and I actually just did that in my room before I got on here and at 50mm it looks like I would be hard pressed to fit more than 1 or 2 people in a shot so I'm leaning towards the 35 even though its a bit more money.

Picking up the 35mm along with a sb-400 flash for $250 for both used tomorrow morning.

I got to use them briefly tonight, and this lens kicks some serious ass. Even though the flash is the cheapest one nikon makes, it is a million times better than the built in one for the sole reason of being able to bounce the flash.

The clarity of this lens compared to the kit 18-55 is SO much better. And it can do so much more with varying the depth of field, it's going to be a lot of fun.

Most reactions

Back