quick D90 question

Aritay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I could not find this in the manual.

To me, when I have the camera in "M" mode and take a pic then try to immediately change either the F stop or Shutter speed through the dials they won't change. But if I push the shutter half-way down, then I can make the exposure adjustments.

I can't imagine that this is the way it is supposed to be - - so does anyone know what setting I may have (inadvertently) set to make it like this.

That is, after taking a pic in full manual mode I would like to be able to immediately change the exposure through the front and/or back dial, without having to depress the shutter at all.

What am I doing/understanding wrong??

thanks

Totally normal, at least its the same on my d90. Does it in A and S also.

I think it was the same on my d70.

Its probably because the previous picture is being reviewed on the screen. when there is a picture on the review screen both control dials control different functions. the shutter dial advances to the next or previous picture and the aperture dial toggles through the different image display modes (histogram, image settings, exc.)

When you press the shutter half way down again, the picture will then go away and the dials go back to controlling the shutter and aperture. You can also use the play/review button instead of pressing the shutter release half way down again.

I would imagine the only way to stop that is to turn off the image review after taking a picture. you'll have to check out the menus to find out.

EDIT: yes, turning off "image Review" is one way to fix it.

EDIT again:

There is another way to fix it. Leave 'image review' on. then go to "menu", "custom menu settings", "F controls" at the bottom, 'custom command dials' and change 'menus and playback' to 'on (image review excluded)'.

it's one of two things.

When you take a picture, does it show up on the LCD? I know mine did when I first got my D90. If there is anything on the screen, the front and rear dials are routed to controling the screen, not the viewfinder. I found it very annoying, so I turned off image review, which also helps you shoot faster.

Also, the camera will go to "sleep" in a sense if you don't do anything for a while and the way it wakes up is by depressing the shutter release half way. That could be it as well, either way, it's normal.

Thanks for all the prompt help.

At least to start I find it very annoying. I want to take quick pics, at different DOF's etc.

I'll try some of the suggestions.

Thanks again.

EDIT again:

There is another way to fix it. Leave 'image review' on. then go to "menu", "custom menu settings", "F controls" at the bottom, 'custom command dials' and change 'menus and playback' to 'on (image review excluded)'.

Thank you Boomer!

This has always been one of my pet peeves with my D90. I just dealt with it. Dang that made my day! It's the little things! :D

I never used the dials to scroll through images anyway. It does still work when you hit the play button to review and disables when you are taking pics. Nice!

Funny I just noticed this too the other day. I had my eye up to the viewfinder and after snapping one off, starting turning one of the command dials, and the LCD was "flipping" through photos! :lol: I just figured it was normal as it didn't really bother me.

It is because the picture shows up right now and spinning the command wheels flips through pictures then. Go to setting and turn picture preview off. the camera automatically has a time in between the picture being taken and showing up in case you are trying to take multiple pictures

EDIT again:

Thanks! That has been bothering me since the day I bought my camera and for months I keep saying that I'll dig around for a solution.

EDIT again:

Works beautifully - - thanks so much.

Now the camera feels like it is truly in manual mode. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back