quick guidance needed - flash

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by anel, Aug 17, 2009.

1. anel

anel TPF Noob!

hey everyone, i've got a quickie;
    we ordered a pair of those cactus triggers just for fun to see how they work out and they're marvelous! so i'm going to order them for me and seeing as i want to do everything from portraits to action photography (on an basic - intermediate level) which flash guns on ebay can i order with the triggers... which flash is the cheapest and offers full manual control and doesn't like turn off or stop working in a couple of months..

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The Vivitar 285HV (which has a very low-voltage triggering value of about 6 volts, so it's safe on all d-slr bodies) is one of the better choices to fit your criteria. The head zooming Wide-Norm-Tele is done by human power. The ultra-wide diffuser panel is inserted by your own hand. No zooming motors to conk out. The flash calculator is a round analog dial,so you can preview "other" settings without actually switching the settings, and it works very well. I have three of them and all of them are from the mid-1980's and still going strong, even after having been used with Quantum Battery 1 and Quantum Turbo battery packs. The 285 HV has 4 of what are called Auto- f/stops.

Sunpak's 383 Super is very,very similar, but only has 3 Auto- f/stops, but it has tilt AND swivel action, making it a better flash unit for shoe-mounted work. The Sunpak 383 Super is a very simple,rugged,affordable flash.

3. CxThree

CxThree TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yep. Vivitar is the standard. Also, check out the lumipro stuff on mpex.com. They seem like good flashes too and they have a complete strobist section of stuff including the triggers you mention. Stroist.com seems to like their stuff.

4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cripes, keep it to one forum, dude... no need to double post the same question in 2 places. ;) :)