Quick Q on a distraction...

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by RickyN29, Nov 15, 2005.

1. RickyN29

RickyN29 TPF Noob!

I love this picture, but there is a problem with the background. Is the red item on the bottom right distracting? First it is there, and second it is red. I am hoping the shot is not ruined. I suppose I could clone it out, but I like keeping shots 100% original.

Thanks,

-Ricky
    [​IMG]

2. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Yes, it is distracting. It is red - traditionally a warning colour, but also a positive and foreground colour* - and it is on the leading edge of frame in the 'return' corner. Everything works for it holding your eye so it vies with the subject for attention.
    Two choices:
    Crop it out and take a little off the left side to balance the image.
    or
    Localy select the colour and dull it down to the background brown. This will push it back into the image and solve the problem.

*Bright colours like red and yellow push themselves forwards into the foreground visually.
    Colours like blue and purple recede.

3. RickyN29

RickyN29 TPF Noob!

Cool, thanks for the reply. I really didn't want to loose any of the frame, so as a bandaid, does this work?

[​IMG]

4. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

If you hadn't seen the original then you wouldn't know.
    The only question you need answering is: does it work for you?
    If you like it, then that's all that matters.

5. Willc73

Willc73 TPF Noob!

The idea of keeping a photograph original is a funny one. There is really nothing original about a photograph in the first place. If you print a picture and dodge and burn it, is that original? What if you crop it?
    The way I think about photography is, photography is a manifestation of a vision. Whether you are taking a picture of your loved one or a national ad. You are creating your vision, you're vision is not complete until you have completed it.

6. RickyN29

RickyN29 TPF Noob!

\

Very true indeed.

7. seven

seven TPF Noob!

That could very well be a world known quote! Very true, I never thought of it that way.

Ricky, the cloned version looks better, but I didn't notice the red box until you mentioned it. After you cloned it, the man kind of looks in solitude, if that's what you were going for... then, great!