Quick Question and also new here

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by armenh, Dec 6, 2008.

1. armenh

armenh TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello Everyone my name is Armen and this is my first post here. I was on a trip and I took a pic of a very interesting thing which has probably never happened before. It was of a bird, but i dont really want to give away exactly what it was until i copyright it. How do I make sure no one steals my photo and it is fully protected? Also it is kind of a picture that some isnt very pleasant but in no way is it gross...I am thinking of marketing this picture and selling it, any idea how and in what ways I can do that? Also editing the photo till its perfect any suggestions who I can hire I want this to kind of be a start-up business for me but with this 1 extraordinary photo. Thanks

2. eccs19

eccs19 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A lot of people will put watermarks on their pictures, but it's still not 100% guarantee. At least if you post it on the web, you can put a scaled down picture, then at least if you've got the original in hi-res, then you've got some sort of back up if someone was to "borrow" your picture.

3. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

4. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yea, if you are that passionate about your photo, my suggestion is don't post it online... truth about photography is, the picture may appeal to you, but I actually hate birds, so i probably would hate the picture (subject wise) but there are people out there who may try to steal it... i remember a while back there was a guy on TPF who created a site of hurricane katrina disaster pictures, and he said that he was collecting donations to help victims (or something like that) but every image on the site was stolen... it happens... and the best way to prevent it is to not post your photos online....

5. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

haha .. I remember that guy ... he sold his domain name later on. Wonder what happened to him now. Because someone was trying to locate him and sue him.

6. Harmony

Harmony TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I remember that! It turned into a huge saga... and very good reading. :lol:

7. Photog

Photog TPF Noob!

Hmmm I'm somewhat sceptical, I haven't yet seen a single photo that someone could base a whole business around... Maybe a genre of photos, but not one single photograph.

8. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, me neither and unless OP has rediscovered the Dodo or this bird is giving an ornithology lecture then his business plan is kaput. H

9. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i had the same thought, but i didnt want to come off as rude... typically people who are looking to start a business who are on this thread post MANY pictures saying "am I ready" sort of deal... so I'm thinking its either someone who really doesnt know what they are doing... or its that justin guy again... scamming people...

don't know what ever became of him... i know there was a guy who emailed me who had already served him with papers.. but I've heard nothing since then...

10. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Well lets see - if you have bird photo and its a rare sight (what sight - telling us certainly can't destroy the worth of the photo) then your best bet is to contact a group like National Geographic with the photo and information.
    As for copywrite you have it already - once the photo is taken its yours. Watermarks can help lower the rate of people taking images, but any dedicated theif can use software to remove the watermark from an image. Your best defence is small (600 pixels on the longest side) photos which will sevearly limit what a theif can do (with a shot that size maybe a small postcard at best).
    As for starting a business of one photo - not really feasable or practical unless you have something like the one and only true photo of BigFoot or Nessy ;)

11. armenh

armenh TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Its a picture of a fairly large bird at least 10 feet tall...His neck is stuck in between a power line literally the birds neck was hanging from this thin power line...Truly a picture you would never see again . Very unfortunate though...

12. Photog

Photog TPF Noob!

Personally, I have no idea who your target audience is. Yeah, it sounds like an amusing animal photo, but there are thousands out there that sell for pennies.

Aside from anything else, it would have to be a very well-executed photograph to make any money at all, regardless of the scene it depicts.