abuccanero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is the D70 a good beginners DSLR?

I have not seen any threads about its pros and cons.
I was also wondering if 6.1 MP is good or not enough. I have heard both ways.

And does anyone know how the learning curve is on the D70? is it easy to use or will it take awhile to learn how to use its functions.

thanks

Is the D70 a good beginners DSLR?

I have not seen any threads about its pros and cons.
I was also wondering if 6.1 MP is good or not enough. I have heard both ways.

And does anyone know how the learning curve is on the D70? is it easy to use or will it take awhile to learn how to use its functions.

thanks

I don't know the D70 details but my gut feel is that it has too many features for a beginner. You may end up with incorrect settings because either you didn't know what to do or you forgot to check the settings from yesterday's shoot. My suggestion is that you go to the Nikon web site and download the user manual. Browse through it and determine how much you understand.

http://www.nikonusa.com/

Nothing wrong with 6MP unless you want billboard-sized photos or you intend to do major cropping.

I've printed awesome 20x30's off my D70s 16x20 is easy-peesy as long as it's a sharp photograph to begin with.

The D70 is a great beginners SLR, they're cheap, and give you enough creative room to do almost anything. ALSO if you you want to venture off into CLS, it's a good camera to start with.

The D70 and the D70s should do fine.
It has both Manual and Auto settings; it will give you lots of room to grow into it. There are lots of advanced features that are not found on other Nikon cameras (1/500 sec flash sync, Wireless commander for CLS) some of that may not make sense to you but they are good things. It has some distinct advantages over the D40/D60 line of cameras; it can take all Nikon lenses.
As for 6.1 MP, that is defiantly good enough to make large prints. I have printed up to 16X20 when shooting in RAW.

Agree with SpeedTrap - good amount of beginner and more advanced features which will allow you to learn to shoot manually. You will really start learning when you're understanding exposure and the shot and why your settings resulted in the output you see. Enjoy!

A friend of mine is selling his for 600 with a 28-90 and a 70-300 lens.

Is that a good deal?

I emailed him to see what brand and stuff the lenses are.

The kit lens is 28-80mm not 28-90mm. One thing you need to find out: The D70's were suffering from a disorder syndrome called the Blinking Green Light of Death, and it occurred after certain amount of shutter cycle. The symtom is when you turn on the the camera, the green light in the back would keep blinking but the camera is effectively dead (you can't turn it on and have no controls). You would then need to send the camera in to Nikon for repair. Perhaps you should ask if this has occured on this particular camera yet.

Yea that is what I meant. 28-80. The 70-300 is a Sigma lens and the camera only has about 300 pictures taken on it.

On ebay the body alone can cost between 300 - 400. So with the lens, this is a pretty good price.

Most reactions

Back