Quick Question on UV & Polorizer filters

mendyogi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've always had a UV filter on my lens and just started playing with a polorizer. Question is - can I keep the Polorizer on the lens all the times just like I do with the UV - even for indoor and wedding photography (shooting some candids at a friends wedding) or should it only be used for outdoors (Seems like a pain to carry separate and put on and take off)? Also, do I really need the UV filter on the lens if I can keep the polorizer on the lens at all times - real purpose of the UV was to protect the lens element (I thought) and I guess the polorizer would accomplish that as well.

Thanks
mendyogi

I like to keep a UV filter on most of the time. I remove it when there may be a problem with flare, difficult lighting etc. I only place a polarizer on when photographing landscape with sky (to darker the sky) or items with glass (to cut the reflections). I don't think leaving a polarizer on all the time is a good idea as it does reduce the incoming light.
...Terry

Take the polarizer off when not really using it....like indoors. All it will do indoors is cut off light, which means slower shutter speeds, and reduced flash range.

Thanks guys - that's what I was looking for !

You CAN leave the polariser on all the time, but it will (for an average CPL) cut off 1 stop of light, or halve your shutter speed (unless you're using flash). If you're indoors when light is already limited, you should really take it off.

Most reactions

Back