Quick question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mwcfarms, Mar 22, 2010.

1. mwcfarms

mwcfarms No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Sigma 105 mm F2.8 EX DG Macro looking at this lens as opposed to the 18mm -105mm F3.5 - 5.6 VR that comes with the kit. Now I have limited experience with lenses but plan on doing of course portrait work with my kids etc since I am a MWAC lol. Is this lens something better to start out with as opposed to one with some zoom capabality. Please excuse any ignorance on my part. I keep tossing the idea of the kit lens with either a decent quality zoom plus prime 50mm and stumbled across this.

2. Rosshole

Rosshole TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the Sigma is a Macro lens, so that is something to take into consideration. What body are you working with?

3. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From Photozone.de review of the lens.....

4. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, get that lens or the T90 and add in either a 35mm f1.8 50mm f1.4 or one of the great mid range zooms like the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or Sigma 18-50 f2.8 HSM (the latter two options being my recommendation). If you can afford it, I'd do that over messing with the kit lens (though not a particualarly bad lens).

5. mwcfarms

mwcfarms No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon D90 is the body, and I am leaning more towards putting out a couple extra hundred for the good lens as opposed to the ok kit lens and I was planning on getting a prime. Now if I can find a good midrange zoom that I can afford yay but everything I have seen locally is a bit more than I can spend right now. Thanks for the input. Im off to the camera store tomorrow for test shots with each and I really appreciate the advise.

6. Rosshole

Rosshole TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I wouldn't really consider that sigma a portrait lens, or the 18-105. You could look into a 85 mm 1.8, or the 50 mm 1.8 for portraits, and maybe a 24-70 for a walkaround.