QUICK! Review Please on Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

smackitsakic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anybody have or have used a Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro?

I just found a very good condition used one on ebay, which expires within the next 24 hours. Any reviews or information on this lens would be greatly appreciated!

What are it's macro capabilities? Is it a true macro 1:1 lens?

I have done a very small amount of research on this lens, but what i've seen looks very promising for the cost.

Thanks!

Does anybody know if this lens has an image stabilizer?

hehehe - edit - my bad. was getting confused.

Last edited:
Nope:
HSM - Hypersonic motor and refers to the focusing mode of the lens
OS - Optical stabalization is hte sigma lingo for image stabalization (IS).

If you want a macro lens with IS there is only one - the canon 100mm f2.8 IS L macro.

Overall at 50mm its far better than the canon and the sigma 50mm macro is a true macro lens capable of 1:1 magnifiaction and is also fullframe compatable. I've already experessed my views on focal length in this thread of yours here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-gallery/205642-canon-ef-50mm-f2-5-macro.html

The only other point is I have read a few horror stories about this lens having a cheaper overall construction than the other sigma offerings (eg the 105mm macro and 70mm macro). It's one reason (along with focal length) why I generally don't recomend this lens to people. If its a good copy though it should be optically sound, with usable but not outstanding AF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back