Quick Tip For Indoor Popup Flash Users

Mike_E

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, here is a quick tip for using your pop-up flash in close with out that red-eyed, peel their ears back look.

Just hold your lens cap (it's ok that it's black) between your finger tips and place it at about a 30 to 45 degree angle to bounce the light off the ceiling while blocking your subject from the direct flash (hold it very close to the flash).

That's it. Works best with my camera between 4 and 8 feet.

Happy shooting! :D

mike

I used to do this before I bought my external flash. It makes for a MUCH better looking photograph. But the black lens cap isn't ideal; it absorbs alot of light. When I did it, I'd use my hand or a small piece of light-coloured cardboard. And you have to make sure that you don't have a very high or very dark-coloured ceiling or it won't work well at all.

Credit cards, driver's license, ID cards, lot's of possibilities for this. just look in your wallet/purse.

Ugh, it's these kinds of threads that make me wish I'd never spent £150 on a flashgun & sync cord.

Anyway, great idea! I suspect that the irregular shape of the cap would also help to diffuse the light a bit.

An actual flashgun is a much better solution than putting your hand in front of your onboard flash, believe me! You didn't waste your money.

EDIT: Well, you didn't waste your money ... if it can swivel around. If it can't swivel, then I retract my statement and it was indeed a waste of money. ;)

I've done this with business cards a lot... it's DEFINITELY not as good as a better flash, but it works in a pinch.

Most reactions

Back