Quickest way to change ISO setting

jpross123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just learned something new today, and I thought I would share it with those who did not know this as well! On Nikon cameras, you can make the record button a quick way to change ISO while you are looking through the viewfinder.

You simply go to your settings and select controls
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 11.32.46 AM.png

Then go to assign movie record button
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 11.32.50 AM.png
and set the record button to ISO sensitivity
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 11.32.57 AM.png

Now on Nikon's entry cameras, you can change the ISO settings while looking through the viewfinder!

Biggest improvement I had with my D750 experience was setting the AF to 11 points instead of all 51 (setting A7).

Before that point it took too long to set the AF point manually.

This way I can set my AF point on my D750 just as fast as with the D5100.

Which btw is still slow enough. Really dont need the additional slowdown from having to pick from 51 points.

For explicitly setting the AF point, thats perfectly enough for me.

The AF itself of course still uses all 51 points... just only in the dynamic modes.

The tip is good for D7100 and higher, D750 and D4 I think.
D500 already has a ISO button up there.

Some entry level Nikon cameras has Fn button on the left side of the body which is easy reachable with the left thumb. I've used that button for quick ISO change when I was shooting with D5100. A friend of mine said that ISO function is now by default assigned to Fn button, back in time it was blank when I purchased D5100.
Fn button together with command dial , translates to left thumb plus right thumb was combination to quick change ISO settings.
However now on my D750 I've assigned record button to quick ISO change.

Doesn't work on the D610. I've already tried it before. Its a bummer!

Some entry level Nikon cameras has Fn button on the left side of the body which is easy reachable with the left thumb. I've used that button for quick ISO change when I was shooting with D5100. A friend of mine said that ISO function is now by default assigned to Fn button, back in time it was blank when I purchased D5100.
Fn button together with command dial , translates to left thumb plus right thumb was combination to quick change ISO settings.
However now on my D750 I've assigned record button to quick ISO change.
I used the Fn button on the D40 but used the built-in ISO button on the D750.

That's really sad.
I don't get it why either Fn or Pv buttons can't be set as ISO sensitivity :confused-55: weird Nikon's choice. At least those buttons should be programmable to almost anything, why is ISO sensitivity exception, God knows...
Having option to quick change ISO will be great for the photographer who prefer manual shooting.
Did you tried Easy ISO option? It's not working in manual mode but it's very cool in A and S modes. You use either use command or sub command dial to change ISO, depending on the mode.

That's really sad.
I don't get it why either Fn or Pv buttons can't be set as ISO sensitivity :confused-55: weird Nikon's choice. At least those buttons should be programmable to almost anything, why is ISO sensitivity exception, God knows...
Having option to quick change ISO will be great for the photographer who prefer manual shooting.
Did you tried Easy ISO option? It's not working in manual mode but it's very cool in A and S modes. You use either use command or sub command dial to change ISO, depending on the mode.

Nah. I mostly use auto ISO.

Most reactions

Back