Quit askin stupid questions [Rant]

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Battou, May 7, 2008.

1. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG] oi....I was out reshooting as many test shots as I could with DeadEyes 400mm lens today. I have to do this because I lost the previous to a bad roll of film...I should known better than to test shoot a lens on film I was uncertain about (film I pulled out of a disposable camera and screwed up), but any who....

On my way out to location I dig out a cigerette and find myself lighterless...So I stop and ask a guy sitting on a bench out side a convieniance store to borrow his. The woman sitting next to him asks me "Is that a zoom lens", "No, this is a four hundred millimeter telephoto lens" She then starts talking about this "great zoom lens" she had that she could "take a picture of "a bird it the trees a mile away" and how it got lost in...By this time I gave the lighter back said thankyou and quietly slinked away.

Wile I was retaking the shots of the resturant on the mountain a kid comes up on his bike and stops, and asks "Watcha doin?" I reply "Taking pictures of the Red Garter", "take a picture of me" He says.....If I did not have two hands on my camera I would have facepalmed right there. I was no more than 200 feet and less than two minuets away from the last person I did not want to deal with.... I simply tell him "I can't, you are too close", as opposed to "Do you allways stroll up to complete strangers and ask them to take pictures of you." I put the lens cap on and start to walk away and he heads of in the other back in the direction he came from. I take a few more shots and head home.

On the way home I stop to get some food, I stand in the checkout line quietly and paitently waiting for the cashier to finish cleaning the conveyer for a couple minuets, then pay for my purchase....as I am getting ready to walk out the door I hear the classic "What is that camera"...You could not ask me this wile I stood in line doing nothing.....:raisedbrow: well, I gave her an answer to the question to witch she resopnds "What would you need that for?" :irked: Needless to say, the rest of the trip home was spent cutting threw the soccer field, police parking lot and park play ground...well away from people.

The first handful of times I had it out in public, Some one jokingly called it a Howitser, Another person said "Holy **** that is big...trying to shoot some birds with it?" and a hand full of gawkers with an expression on their face that just had "look at that, we have a photographer in this little town" written all over it, but nothing so dumb as tonight. Why all of a sudden three in one trip that lasted less than a half hour.

Prolly did not help that I was out, taking advantage of not being able to sleep today but, that was seriously irritating.

2. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I assume you walked to your destination that's why you had the lens in the store with you?

Why not conceal it in a case or backpack if you hate dealing with human curiosity so much.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I remember once shooting on a pier in Seattle with a 4x5 and someone asked me if it was a video camera.

4. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

5. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No one so far has asked me except asking what I was doing there? I said:
    Taking pictures of these flowers, you have problem with that?
    "No no no no problem, please continue by all mean". So I asked him if he would allow me to take his picture. But he bolt away.

6. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    When we get frustrated like this, sometimes it is best to realize that mostly people do this because they are in awe. It's annoying, but realize most are doing it out of envy (especially the amateurs like me). We think you guys are cool and we wanna talk to you about being able to do what we do for fun as a LIVING!

If I ever meet one of you guys, I'm sorry if I gawk. But I assure you my intentions are good. Then again, I'd never ask you to take a photo of me when you had your 400mm f/4 on. Whoever did that was clueless :)

7. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Take your battery grip off and mount your 50mm f/1.8. No one would look at you twice :p

What do you expect. I get that everytime I look like I have something worth more than a $1000. "Wow nice bike is that carbon fibre" they ask pointing at what is obviously carbon fibre, or "man that's a big lens", stating the obvious when I carry my 80-200 f/2.8, or "are you a professional."

I even had one guy look at the laptop screen and comment when he saw I was designing a circuit board saying "wow designing electronics, that program looks expensive", even though it's just the student edn from uni.

Get used to it. Last time I had my 80-200 f/2.8 out at the beach I got me a date :D.

8. Jedo_03

Jedo_03 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    LOL... - I'm a consultant gynaecologist and when people ask me what I do for a living, I tell them I'm a photographer...
    Jedo

9. manfromh

manfromh TPF Noob!

What do you photograph? ;)

Anyway, good thing I live in Estonia. People here are quite reserved and never start asking random questions from strangers. They might stare, but quickly turn away once they notice that you noticed.

10. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You are correct in tha assumption I was walking but, It's not that I hate dealing with human curiosity so much as I get a little irked when the human curiosity is followed by true ignorance.

The first woman was no spring chicken, and obviously knew enough to have an idea as to what I had but....I concider my self to have a deisent knowledge of equipment, the longest tele-zoom I am aware of is a 650-1300mm f8-16, If she knew enough about cameras to have a tele zoom of that range, it should be expected that the person should know enough to be able to tell the difference between a long zoom and fixed telephoto.

The kid really did not suprise me much, I do get it a lot from the kids I know. I was onced asked by my neighbors doughter and her cousin to draw a picture of them when they learnd I draw. It's different when I know them. When I was a kid I can remember parents and schools preaching the old saying don't talk to strangers. Being a CCP I know this is still practiced and I do find my self somewhat anoyed when this is ignored by the kid.

And the third one, the real kicker is the fact she waited untill I was on my way out the door to ask as opposed to asking wile I was patiently waiting in the checkout line. I would have been happy to stand there and chat about it wile I waited for them to finish the manditory cleaning of the conveyer belts as opposed to standing in silence for two minuets.

All the occurances, from the previous times I had it out in public I actually found humorous, I chuckled at the Howitser reference comming from a non photographer who knew it was on a Canon. The guy who made the Holy **** that is big comment, I looked in the eyes and said yes it is, but I am trying to get a bigger one...and then chuckled a bit when his eyes bout fell out of his head, and of course, I do take a preverse pleasure in walking around pertending not to notice all the gawkers trying to hide their errections.

I do understand this, that is part of why I was as nice as I was to him. I honestly did not expect him to know just what a lens of that size was used for. However as I said before, I do have some issue with kids just asking random people they see to take pictures of them....I mean seriously...what would he have done if I where one of those pedo pervs everyone worries about with good reason, There are not many places to run on the middle of a bridge.

:( I cart my 80-200 around a lot....no one ever sees it.....unless I am hanging off the guard rail of the main street bridge (but that is another story ;)), much less offers a date... Maybe the 60-300 I just bought may do the trick.

11. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Well there's your problem! Carry a Nikon and people won't be so impressed and curious!

JUST KIDDING...JUST KIDDING :mrgreen:

12. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

I assume that's because you've found that information to be a real conversation stopper.
    I liked that because it allowed me to get on with the serious business of getting drunk and incapable.