Frequency

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.photosenzitive.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Q.1

Purely hypothetical question. Suppose a person sees blue as green and green as blue, from his/her very birth; will that anomaly recognized by the person, or society at any incidence? Regards :D

If a bear falls in the woods, did the chicken or the egg hear the tree?

Actually, I know what you mean. I asked my 5 year-old the same question about an orange she had. I said "What colour is that orange?". She said "orange" (obviously!).
I said, "Well, I thnk it's orange, too, but what if we are actually seeing different colours, but whatever colour we see, we just call it "Orange"?"

She wasn't sure...

Anyway...I "think" the answer is that we wouldn't see colours as different. Colours are frequencies of light reflected of surfaces. The frequency is the same for that colour for all people (as long as they stand at the same spot as each other to look). What CAN change is our eye's ability to see THAT wavelength. But we wouldn't see it as a different colour entirely if it was a "pure" colour. If it's a mixture of colours, we might see one of those wavlength less effectively, which is essentially colour-blindness.
So, we are seeing an ABSENCE of a particular frequency, rather than seeing a frequency entirely differently.

My thoughts, anyway. :)

I really enjoyed the discussion above; thanks to all individually

Let me conclude: I started the question by putting that it is "Purely Hypothetical" because it is scientifically improbable to happen that way

Now the Answer: The anomaly-if one can call it that way- will never be revealed

Explanation: Suppose i have this problem. So i see sky as green and most of the leaves as blue. Also suppose i love the blue i see, which is your green. But the names? Name is given to me by the society. So i will say "What a wonderful blue sky!!!" or "what a green leaf"like any one else and enjoy it as green and blue respectively. . Nobody realize that including myself.

Now suppose i want my beloved blue coloured shirt; i will go to shop and ask for a "green" shirt; he brings green of yours-i see it as blue; so i am satisfied because i got what i desired; he is also happy because he satisfied his customer

Regards :D

Q.2: Suppose we are attending a small gathering; suppose the person give a talk there is looking at you/another person, we recognize that the person is looking at you/the other person. But imagine the life size cut off of the person is placed there(the photo must be taken with the person looking into the lens, at the time of click). Then every body sitting there would feel that the image is looking at him/her. What could be its scientific explanation?

When we look a person in reality who is not so distant we can recognize his vision axis which emerges from within his eyes and not from the periphery of the eyes. A straight line can have only one direction and fall on only one person. So we recognize it. But if the person is very distant we may not be able to do this, but we can recognize the approximate direction.

Now coming to an image which is a compressed reality, a conversion from 3D to 2D, the periphery of eye, which is also the plane of the paper of image which is the apparent starting point. Any number of straight lines can be visualized from this point. So each person feels that the image's vision axis is towards himself and so he feels that the image is looking at him/her

When we look a person in reality who is not so distant we can recognize his vision axis which emerges from within his eyes and not from the periphery of the eyes. A straight line can have only one direction and fall on only one person. So we recognize it. But if the person is very distant we may not be able to do this, but we can recognize the approximate direction.

Now coming to an image which is a compressed reality, a conversion from 3D to 2D, the periphery of eye, which is also the plane of the paper of image which is the apparent starting point. Any number of straight lines can be visualized from this point. So each person feels that the image's vision axis is towards himself and so he feels that the image is looking at him/her

Sounds feasable. I didn't attempt to answer this...thought it was another hypothetical one. :)

Q.3: We have symbols from zero (0) to nine (9) and there after we use combinations of symbols for higher numbers? Why it is so? why we did not start writing it for 9 or for 11?

The decimal system, basically...

The decimal system has each digit in a number as 10x more than the one immediately to it's right. So in a number like 11, the first digit 1 is 10x the second. We have 10x1 and 1x1 together meaning 11.

It is the choosing of the decimal system that is to blame. If we chose a system based on 8, for example, we would start to combine numbers after 7...

decimal : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ...
octinary: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 20 ...
nonary : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ...

So, in octinary, the number 12 can be counted on 2 hands! (1x8 + 2x1 = 10 (dec))
In nonary, we have 11 fingers! (1x9 + 1x1 = 10 (dec))

That what you mean?

Exactly!!! To put things in the simplest terms, it is just because our palms have ten fingers all together. If we were to have only 4+4=8 fingers, then mathematicians would have thought in a similar but parallel track, where they would have used two digits for the nine'th value. Your octimal/nonimal explanations are very thoughtful

Exactly!!! To put things in the simplest terms, it is just because our palms have ten fingers all together. If we were to have only 4+4=8 fingers, then mathematicians would have thought in a similar but parallel track, where they would have used two digits for the nine'th value. Your octimal/nonimal explanations are very thoughtful

To some extent this is true, although early counting systems were often based on other numbers, most notably, 60. And people used parts of their bodies to count to 60.

60 is useful as a base for a number system as it can be split in so many ways (has many factors), namely 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15,20, 30, 60. This is why we use it for time...

But sexagesimal was written differently to our decimal sytem.

Most reactions

Back