Quntaray Tripots

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by molested_cow, Aug 6, 2004.

1. molested_cow

molested_cow No longer a newbie, moving up!

I was at a camera shop and they have Quntaray tripods. The prices were pretty good, so anyone knows about their quality?

I was playing with it. When I try to tighten the knob that secures the horizontal angle, meaning the one that adjusts your camera to landscape or portrait format, it doesn't seem to be able to lock it, because no matter how hard i tighten it, I still can move it with my hand. So I was wondering if I have a heavier gear on it, it probably won't stay in place.

Any ideas?

2. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Umm, I dunno about their tripods.
    But ive bought 2 of their filters, and a camera bag, and its fantastic.
    The only problem with the bag is that it the things that hold it twist and once or twice come of...;but i realise how that happens now and will be buying a new strap.

EDIT: Just read the rest of your post...dont settle for one...buy a different one and dont take thaty risk.

3. BernieSC

BernieSC TPF Noob!

Bogan's cheapest tripod is better than the best quantaray. quantaray is nothing but a name its proably made by vivatar or some company like that and vivatar is probably made by some factory in china. If you want a good tripod that is going to have a lot of use then go with brand like bogan or gitzo it will cost more but its better than having the tripod fall apart in your hands when you go to use it.

And if for some reason a part on a bogan breaks you can actually have it fixed good luck having a so called camera store brand fixed.

4. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

i agree with bernie, but if your money conscious, the quantarray will do the trick. are you holding medium format or large zoom lenses? if the answer is no, then the cheaper is the way to go. id like to consider myself a serious photgrapher and i still use the quantarray because im a cheap bastard.

md

5. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well you do get what you pay for.. and that applies to tripods for sure.

One of the most important purchases I ever made was on a Bogen tripod and head. It's very sturdy and I don't have to worry about any camera shake even in strong wind with a medium format camera.

6. Walt

Walt TPF Noob!

I would suggest if you have doubts with the tripod just playing with it in the store, that should be telling you something.
    I bought a Manfrotto tripod and head this year. (Canadian labeling for Bogen)(or is Bogen American labeling for Manfrotto?) It's a solid, well built piece of equipment.

7. AIRIC

AIRIC TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Spend a little more and you will not have to spend more next year. I think the saying in the store was cry once or you can cry twice when you learn your mistake. I have used a Manfrotto Minipro for years and it still operates like new. I added a joystick head and it is a sweet setup.

Eric

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    But there is no beating the light weight of a cheap tripod if you are doing a lot of hiking. My gear is so heavy already that what's another 20 lbs, so I use Bogen :D But if I were carrying 35mm or digital gear long distances, I'd go with a cheapo tripod that is sturdy enough to hold my camera, and just replace it every year or two as it wears out. I think of the cheapos as disposable; actually, when then get too wiggly for a camera, they still usually make okay flash or reflector stands.

9. molested_cow

Well, I need something light weight cus usually when I need a tripot, I am on the walk.

The Quantaray tripot doesn't look all that high class, but it has life time warranty.. I wonder what does that actually mean.

anyways ksmattfish, how heavy does yours weigh?

10. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    For the life time of the tripod :lol: , most life time warranty are prorated a lot

11. molested_cow

Haha, that's a trick to learn!

12. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit