Reaction score
New Camera and Photography Articles, Nikon DSLR camera and lens
Grim Nikon Financials | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan
More on Where Nikon Is | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

For the entire year, here’s how it plays out:
  • 21% fewer ILC cameras sold
  • 17% fewer lenses sold
  • 41% fewer compact cameras sold
As I wrote: grim. Yet total sales dollars will only be 15.5% lower, and profit 23.5% lower. Short version: Nikon is going to sell fewer products at higher prices, and which have better product margins.
Approx 20% less interchangeable lens cameras and lenses for that, well that includes the Nikon 1 which quite frankly is not a worthwhile product and doesnt interest me. Unfortunately numbers for DSLRs only are not provided.

As a hobby photographer I have to say I dont really like the implication here. That I dont buy new cameras / lenses doesnt mean I'm unhappy with Nikon. It just means what I have works wonderfully and I dont need anything else.

For me thats the ideal state, really.

The D610, D750, and D810 are all due for replacement. The D3300 is overdue for replacement. A D5x would be welcome to some of us. The Nikon 1 line failed, and any mirrorless re-launch might also produce the unit volume implied. One clue is in the somewhat higher lens forecast than ILC forecast, which seems to indicate a strong focus there.
I have to say that if the D750, D810 or Df successor gets out and convinces me(*), I'm definitely going to get it. Having a second full frame body would be awesome. Though I will probably wait approx 3-12 months after release, because the price will lower a lot during that time.

(*): About the question what would be convincing, I already made threads about that:
Nikon Df successor wishlist
D810 Successor Wishlist
D750 Successor Wishlist
Basically I want the last remaining, well, "shortcomings" fixed. Such as actually useable, full functional WiFi with full remote control and automatic upload/backup to phone memory and/or internet, Touchscreen for fast AF point selection in lifeview, silent shutter, and some minor interface issues like my D750 blinds me with the monitor every time I want to change ISO while having the eye on the OVF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back