R.I.P. BALTIMORE - AUTOPSY DEPT.

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by eyepeter, Jan 21, 2009.

1. eyepeter

eyepeter TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Greetings to all, I posted some images from a project of mine on a web site I was introduced to while attending a forum at Columbia University in NYC in December. The link to the portfolio on Social Documentary dot com is below. I invite you to look at it. Wishing you and yours well. .............peter

SocialDocumentary.net | Peter Barry

also....

Baker Artist Awards » Nomination

2. jwesleyc3

jwesleyc3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow never realized all the tags in the Charm City. This stuff is sad but oh so true. Great looking website.:thumbup:

3. KvnO

KvnO TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting stuff.

I don't quite understand leaving liquor bottles at the site...

4. eyepeter

eyepeter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Greetings KvnO
    One of the many things we have lost track of is, HISTORY, which to me are the lessons, the experiments that have come before us. This process of observing the successes and the failures of our ancestors help us in the things we do today. It's easy when we can look at time tested principles that worked, and discard what didn't. Some of these activities, functions and rictuals are not that clear to the onlooker. Throughout history there have been forms of 'retuning back', giving back, and recognizing the source, even Elvis said: "Return to sender". One form is called LIBATION. Some definitions: The pouring of a liquid offering as a religious ritual, an act of pouring a liquid as a sacrifice (as to a deity).

A libation (spondee in Greek) is a ritual pouring of a drink as an offering to a god. It was common in the religions of antiquity, including Judaism:
    "And Jacob set up a Pillar in the place where he had spoken with him, a Pillar of Stone; and he poured out a drink offering on it, and poured oil on it". (Genesis 35:14)

In some African cultures, especially in West and Central Africa, the libation ritual of pouring a drink or water to the “Gods of our forefathers” is an essential religious and ceremonial tradition. The ritual is generally performed, as part of a ceremony or prayer, by an elder in the village or gathering. The drink is poured out of a native drinking cup owned by the elder or fore-parent, and the cup is made of some traditional artifact such as a gourd, animal horn, wood carving or other material. Although water may be used, the drink is usually some traditional wine (e.g. palm wine), and the libation ritual is accompanied by some traditional incantation or invocation of spirits.

In hip-hop culture, libation has taken the form of pouring a small amount of liquor onto the ground in remembrance of ancestors or friends who have died. The liquid is poured onto the ground before the first sip is taken. Hence, the famous quote: "This is for my (dead) homies".

This is how I see it. More than the sum of the parts. Wishing you and yours well. ............peter