R.I.P. to C.A. in P.S.?

Don Simon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just a quickie... what's your favourite action or method (In Photoshop CS2 or similar) for removing chromatic aberrations, specifically fringing of the purple flavour?

I've tended to remove it bit by bit using selective colour, or simply cloning, as mostly it hasn't been much of a problem for me. But now I'm wondering if there is an effective and quicker method, er, basically one for lazier people such as myself. :lol:

Thanks in advance.

If it is really CA, then I do that in my RAW converter. works nicely ;) i just move the slider forth or back, depending on if it is wide angle or tele CA with my zooms. With primes (and also with zooms in their medium focal range) I have no CA worth dealing with.

ok, for the purple fringing you might get in the central part of the image if contrast is extreme, I have no recipe ... but the effect is tiny most of the time anyway.

Thanks Alex... am I right in recalling that you use Bibble? I use a Silkypix-powered RAW converter, but have played with several others and Bibble has impressed me the most... I'm thinking of buying it, the only thing putting me off being that it's designed to run with NoiseNinja and I've already bought NeatImage.

I tend to stick with primes or "sensible" ranged zooms so I don't tend to get the problem that often... in fact these shots were taken with a really great prime, but there was a truly unfortunate combination of indoor lighting and flash, and the highlights have noticeable purple edging.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that I'm trying to clean up a series I shot in Jpeg (and therefore have been reminded of yet another reason why I shoot RAW 99% of the time)... so I'm looking more for a Photoshop solution.

To remove the color cast, make a new layer, blend mode set to color, and sample a nearby color (the correct color for this area) and paint over. Removing the hard edged specular highlight is difficult after the fact. I normally do some precise cloning if it is very bad. I don't run into this problem too often though.

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T., cause if it leaks to the V.C., he could end up an M.I.A., and then we'd all be put on K.P?

Thanks Matt, I'll give that a try. :thumbup:

GoM: I'm ashamed to admit I couldn't remember the movie and had to IMDB it :oops:

Most reactions

Back