Racetrack Playa

namaste_lv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If this is a double post, I apologize, I think something happened when I tried to post this.

I took this shot when I had only my Olympus Point and shoot with me and don't really like the image quality for enlargement

I am planning on going back to reshoot with my full kit. Please C&C and let me know things I can be looking to improve from the original shot. I'm planning on staying the night so I can play with different light. I'll also have two EX 580 flashes to play with so any ideas for creatively lighting this are welcome as well.

Very mysterious photo. How the hell did the track happen? I really like it.

If you do go and reshoot it, I don't think you'll be spending the night. Unless you have so much moonlight that you can still see the mountains, the ground detail and the track that is.

A more dramatic light would definitely be nice but I'm not sure what the results could be like at night. Have fun though.

Whats up with the tracks behind the stone!! Tried to think of all possibilities, but none of them makes sense.

Very unique shot! Bravo to the compositor. (Is that a word??)

Whats up with the tracks behind the stone!! Tried to think of all possibilities, but none of them makes sense.

The rock was moved to the end of the trail or the trail was made behind the rock. The rock did not make the trail as there is no build-up of sand and no visible signs of motion showing that the rock made the trial, not to mention the alignment isn't quite right.

The rock is also not indigenous to that playa, and you can see the implement that was used to make the track. Looks like a log or something. No footprints/tire tracks indicates the direction of travel was away from the rock.

Excellent shot. :thumbup:

The rock was moved to the end of the trail or the trail was made behind the rock. The rock did not make the trail as there is no build-up of sand and no visible signs of motion showing that the rock made the trial, not to mention the alignment isn't quite right.

The rock is also not indigenous to that playa, and you can see the implement that was used to make the track. Looks like a log or something. No footprints/tire tracks indicates the direction of travel was away from the rock.

Wish I was that good at setting things up.. Thanks for the compliment on the shot.

Good theory, but no... There are rocks as small as matchbox cars and others as large as a couple feet. All leave trails of some sort. This one is about the size of a bowling ball if I remember correctly. See the below link.

Racetrack Playa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Search for sailing rock or spirit rocks of death valley.

Wish I was that good at setting things up.. Thanks for the compliment on the shot.

Good theory, but no... There are rocks as small as matchbox cars and others as large as a couple feet. All leave trails of some sort. This one is about the size of a bowling ball if I remember correctly. See the below link.

Racetrack Playa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Search for sailing rock or spirit rocks of death valley.

Wow. Very cool! I never would have guessed. :lmao::thumbup:

Very good analysis!!

Thanks. Even though I was wrong. :D

Very good analysis!!

Most reactions

Back