Racism, artistic brilliance, or coincidence?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Fiendish Astronaut, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Fiendish Astronaut

Fiendish Astronaut TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    http://gawker.com/5004715/time-for-leibovitz-to-confess

[​IMG]

2. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Interesting. I certinaly don't think Leibowitz nor the magazine can be accused of any RACISM. It's also certinaly NOT coincidence.

Is it BRILLIANCE then? Maybe. The iconic images certainly are moving, but there is a sly difference in the pictures that really changes the idea.

In the first image the "Kong" is HOLDING the woman, capturing her. In the new image, her feet were on the ground, indicating that she is in control. Furthermore she is facing the camera, smiling, and NOT in distress.

3. Tasmaster

Tasmaster TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Racial imagery? This is hillarious. The US didn't fight "black men" in WWI, they fought the Germans. Unless LeBron is of german ancestry, there is nothing wrong with this cover. No doubt this is inspired by the WWI poster, and it is successful in paying homage.

Racism here is only in the subconscious of people who think that there must be a racist undertone because there is an ape and a black man. This reminds me of [URL="http://www.southparkzone.com/episode.php?vid=408]that great South Park Episode[/URL].

4. Puscas

Puscas TPF Noob!

Ok, but why is nobody protesting that Gisele has pulled her dress up much higher up than the woman in the original picture....what kind of homage is this.

:mrgreen:

pascal

5. confucious

confucious TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you want to take it a step further...let's put most of the meaning in the bloodied, much used, club in the Apes hand. You will notice it says "Kultur" - meaning culture. What this implies is the "beast" is killing, and has killed, with it's culture (club). Who is it killing? Why, white culture, as is implied by the captive white woman. The threat of this ape and it's culture is further emphasized by the caption "Destroy this Mad Brute".

Now - translate this into the recent "white & black" image - the club is directly represented by the basketball. Basketball is certainly a very "black" sport in North America, no doubt about it...it is very much a part of Black culture. So - if indeed there was a relation, is the photographer saying that contemporary black culture is killing white culture? Is she/he suggesting "white culture" has something to fear...that it should "Destroy this Mad Beast"?

Seems like an "Uh-oh" to me...will be interesting to see what happens :)

6. ScottS

ScottS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting interpretation.

Its a picture...

Oh and it looks like the girl isnt in any distress at all. :er:

Just silly...

7. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Racism still exists, it is a sad fact. But THIS??? C'mon.

I am getting pretty tired of people calling things racist at the drop of a hat. It's getting to be the "crying wolf" syndrome, and when it is for real, it no longer gets the true attention that it should because people are getting sick of hearing about it.

8. confucious

confucious TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    AAhhh - but maybe that's the creator's point - it's not through brute violence that the "beast" is destroying "white" culture, but through the domination and "dilution" of the race..the old "they're stealing our women". The woman indeed looks happy - is the happy union of white and black the beast that threatens "white society"?

Hehehehhe - Everything I am pointing out COULD be read into this - so could a lot of other things. I do not seriously think this was the intention at all - but given the two images, it takes mere minutes to draw the parallels. Thought I would add an interesting view to an interesting topic :er:.

9. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    actually, she looks happy, and he looks like screaming in pain .. as if she just stomped on his feet.

So my interpretation is that the image on the right hand sinde actually depicts a black man suppressed by a white female.

he is so in pain that he even dropped that ball.

10. I can't believe how big his feet look in those sneakers next to her little feet.

11. Emerana

Emerana TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So to me it does look like she used this as inspiration and my take on it is this...racist? I dont know...I wouldnt jump to that conclusion. But if I were that guy I would be totally bummed people thought I looked like that scary monkey

12. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sure it's racism and she should file a law suit... A big law suit. I've had enough of whites being belittled in the name of art.