Radio station

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just started a personal project. I want to document the radio station here at school. Here are some pictures from my first shoot during a djs show (she just happens to be my gf)

The all importatant time (we start broadcasting at noon and go off air at midnight.)

clock.jpg

Alright, so this is a little posed, but i still like it

skyshot.jpg

Gotta love the vinyl

theshins.jpg

putting in the music

spinningdapostalservice.jpg

p.s. - be as harsh as possible. I want to know how I can make these better. (also if you have any ideas on how to get creative shots of djs doing their thing lemme know)

hiya

skyshot.jpg

i think this photo is very nice. maybe lose the scrap of paper(?)
on the floor :D

all the angles-of-shot seem a bit high.
what's the widest lens you have to use ?

also - VU meters and mixing-desk little lamps and stuff look good in
low lighting - could you switch everything illuminating on for a contrived
shot ? (maybe profile with headphones mike and VU's etc)
(dimmer-switch for the overhead lighting ?)

the clock photo, IMO would be a better graphic, just concentrating on
the 'couple of seconds to midnight' imagery - 'macro' almost.

good work - thanks for posting.

Keep at it! I can see your story take shape. Keep in mind that the records and all the gear are an integral part of the scene. Of course consider all angles and do not settle for existing lighting.

you want honesty .. i'll give you my opinion :D

i think the composition is "flat" ... nothing is happening here ... i would have also done these in b&w to make them more interesting .. the color in the photos are distracting to me ... takes away from the subject (imho)

i think playing with angles, zooms, positioning of the camera would have done some justice to these... i would have thrown in a wide angle lens to get even more interesting results

thats my opinion .. whether im "right" or not .. u be the judge :lol:

#1) nothing going on here. I think that including the clock in an image about the start of the day at the radio station is a great idea, but we need more info to have it make sense. Otherwise it's just a boring institutional clock.

#2) I like this one, although I would have scooted the camera a little to the left capturing more of the board, and less of the empty floor.

#3) I'm already tired of the overhead shots. I know, I know you don't have any room in the DJ booth. You need a really wide angle lens. What are you using?

#4) Once again, too many overhead shots.... I can give this one a break though, it gives us a good view of what she's doing. I would have stood right in front of her or got a chair and shot from overhead and behind. Less of an angle and more direct overhead.

For adding a bit of spice I suggest slow sync, use a flash combined with a slow shutter speed. If you are using a wide angle lens you can pull off really slow hand held slow sync shots.

ksmattfish said:
#1) ...... I would have stood right in front of her or got a chair and shot from overhead and behind. Less of an angle and more direct overhead.

that sounds very interesting ...

the thing about "documenatary" shots, u cant control the subject ... you're capturing a moment "as is" ... however, u can control the positioning of your camera and yourself :wink:

ksmattfish said:
#1) nothing going on here. I think that including the clock in an image about the start of the day at the radio station is a great idea, but we need more info to have it make sense. Otherwise it's just a boring institutional clock.

trog
it isn't a brilliant idea, but its an acceptable cliche.
do they have an 'on air' lamp ? ooops there's another cliche.

i wouldnt show too much floor, or any chair legs, seats, if possible.

i appreciate craig's caution of making do with available light. although
pic #2 of your gf - its seems subtly diffuse in that picture- looks
'in the radio-studio'. tidy that mic cable off the desk. :wink:

take some posed shots of the dj's sitting-down, (100mm).
use surrounding studio elements as unfocused back-drop.
(acheive this with aperture)

take some candid shots of the the jocks cueing-up or involved in
dialogue. (24-35mm).

perhaps not wider than you were using, but stand/crouch/rest closer
to the subjects.

try some wide-angle and 'macro' shots of the tech, production,
desk elements of 'the studio'. (24mm/macro - whatever your capabilities).
not too arty - more 'spec'y. 8)

set-up meaningful levels on faders and pots , for each shot,
of course
:band:

will you be actually re-shooting this at some-point ?

nice one..//jack

Thanks for all you helpful hints. I did take some shots from other angles, but just liked these the most out of them all (strange coincedence i guess) I had a lot of problems w/ my flash on the "eye-level" shots. I accidently got it in a few and a lot of them were way too bright. Also several of you mentioned the tech stuff. While I agree that those are real important to the radio station, at the moment I want to focus this on the people at the station because were a student station and the students make it happen. Also I do have a lot of problems with room. There is about 6 feet between the left and right sides of the booth. So its difficult to get in there for a picture. And it is impossible to get directly in front w/out climbing all over equipment. I don't remember if I was using a 50mm or my 28-80 zoom lens, but I plan to use the 28-80 in the future. For all these shots I had my external flash sitting somewhere and fired off the internal also.

heres an example of an eye level shot

saraandflash.jpg

Also I looked at some of the shots in BW and I think I agree with you on that one dew heres an example

theshinsbw.jpg

I agree that #1 was a good idea. You just need something else in it. Get your gf in the shot but out of focus. Something like that. Maybe stand behind her and crouch while she is putting a cd in or something. Have her in the forground and focus on the clock in the back ground.

These are pretty flat. Nothing special going on with them. Even though you dont have much space I agree that a wide angle is a must for these. You need DOF some how. stacks of records up close but out of focus, microphones up close but out of focus. Even a close up of a Mic and your girl friend out of focus. Mix it up like that. Long exposure of her putting a cd in so you see her movement. You get the idea. :D

Most reactions

Back