Railroad Photography by RKL.

Robertkl

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I usually like to keep the forums clear of random threads, I have made this one just for my Railroad photography for I don't crowd the this sub-forum with random threads.
I will be posting to this thread 2-3 times a week and will try to respond to everyone's replies.

A Virginian Sunset
A Virginian Sunset by Robert Lukens, on Flickr

There is a trains theme under photo themes if your interested or this way is fine. I like trains and no expert in photography but there is to much unnecessary negative space on the left in my opinion.

Your own train thread is a good idea. I like your first photo in this thread. The tall sky, the train accelerating out of the frame, the empty left side of crops about to close their eyes ... I like it all, the tension between bright sky, dark empty crops and moving train is well done.

Thank you both for your opinions, I been wanting this particular shot for sometime, Wide angle with the crops and the train in the evening light, I was almost expecting some deer or turkey's in the field, but I think they headed into the woods a little early.

Cool shot, I'd nearly crop the top and bottom a bit tighter.

Do you mind if I download this and edit it slightly?

Great shot. I agree with parts of everything said above. As Gary noted I like the crops on the left side and the train coming out of the trees on the right. As JC and Shafty noted I also think a different crop would work better. I'd try a 16x10, 16x9 or maybe even a 16x7 to get rid of the plain blue sky just above the line of clouds.

Shafty: Thats fine, I'd like people to ask me before making slight re-edits.

Smoke665: I plan on cropping it down for my FB page since FB loves to compress the hell'outta wide angle photos.

The first one kind of looks like where I live. I like the clouds in the sky too.

The top one in this set seems a little oversharpened, the posts/towers against the smoke, but looks like it might have been cloudy too.

That last one's a beauty. I was thinking, I never see steam trains... what exactly is the Queen of Steam?

I like hearing the trains at night... funny how different the horns are, some sound it louder than others! and there are definitely different tones to the horns. I live not too far from a summer camp where I worked and at night off duty we'd sit on the boat docks and talk and watch the trains come across the trestle down river. OK I'm done! lol

Vintagesnaps: Yeah, the first one was taken when i still was learning the basics, and was not using Photoshop for editing Raw files.
The Queen of steam is a streamline locomotive built by the Norfolk & Western in Roanoke, Va, In May of 1950. The N&W J-Class Steam Locomotives were built between 1941-1950 and only having 13 on the roster 600-613, All but 611 were scrapped by the N&W by 1960 as dieselization was taking over the railroads and replacing steam. 611 pulled excursions from 1982-1994 before being abandoned, in 2011 the FireUp611 Campaign bought her back to life and in 2015 she rode the mainline for the first time in 21 years.

Are they actually transporting something with it or is it just for scenic rides? I'm surprised it was still in use in the '80s into the 90's. I don't know if by that time I ever saw steam engines.

Scenic rides, Usually starts with a trip from NC to Va then goes around the state of Va for a couple of months, the workers on the Virginia Transportation Museum are asking Amtrak to host excursions next year for it can go outside of Virginia.
But if you want vintage steam, There are plenty of Scenic Railroad across the US that runs year round.

There's one in my area but it doesn't go very far! lol Would be cool someday to do a long trip by train. This one has an unusual looking engine and you got some great photos.

Most reactions

Back