Railroad Photography by RKL.

Whittier in Alaska....what a dismal place! Went there to go and look at some glaciers in Prince William Sound. Rode from Anchorage behind this beast.

whittier.jpg

Here's an image for those interested in railway history. My local line was once known as the Great Western Railway (GWR) engineered by the maverick genius Isembard Kingdom Brunel (we don't do names like that anymore). Despite the fact that standard gauge was well established he was convinced that the future lay with a broader measure, and adopted 7 feet and a quarter of an inch for his masterpiece. This is like VHS and Betamax for the 19th century. Inevitably the whole lot had to be ripped up and replaced with the standard gauge, plus all the locomotives and rolling stock. Achieved over not much more than a weekend. The GWR had acquired the local canal....and some of the old rails were recycled for protecting some of its vulnerable bits (like the sides of a turf sided lock near my home). As you can see from the image, the rail sections are quite unlike modern ones....the holes on the flanges intended for spikes to attach to a continuous wooden sleeper/tie.....with lateral ones at intervals to maintain the gauge.
broadguage.jpg

Mortimer Station....part of the Great Western Railway network. The buildings designed by Brunel, and opened in 1848. It's grade II listed, which means it can't be updated to any serious extent. Must go back there with a decent camera! (it's my local station....all I need is some decent weather)

station.jpg

Last edited:
While there's likely no bigger ferroequinologist on the planet than me, I would ask you to remember that this is not a theme thread, but rather one created by the OP to show his work. If he's happy to allow it to become a theme thread, that's fine, but I would ask that until he he says 'Yay' or 'Nay' on that other rail images be placed in their own threads.

While there's likely no bigger ferroequinologist on the planet than me, I would ask you to remember that this is not a theme thread, but rather one created by the OP to show his work. If he's happy to allow it to become a theme thread, that's fine, but I would ask that until he he says 'Yay' or 'Nay' on that other rail images be placed in their own threads.

Nay I say Nay, I do enjoy other peoples work, But this thread is too show off my own capabilities as a freelance photographer and too show myself I can be what I want to be.
As I say this, I have dealing with some serious issues In life, I recently found out (Friday Evening) My Father has Liver Cancer due to a bad blood transfusion in the early 90's which caused him to have hepatitis, It never bothered him till recently and the Doc's found a decent sized tumor on his liver. Doc's gave him 2-8 months. And as of today I will be working 4-6 days a week. Dont worry I have plenty of Train photos too supply this thread till the next millennium (sarcasm ofcourse)

With all this being said, here is another Pic from last Friday from the Richmond area.

NS 5276 in the Southside of Richmond by Robert Lukens, on Flickr

I love the snowy picture, that's beautiful. And I'm sorry to hear about your father. Keep us posted.

I think we could have more than one train thread, this to continue this specific location theme and another from other places. I am listening to a train now off in the distance, although they aren't so noticeable this time of year, but I enjoy all the different sounding horns. (The one who was changing cars or something in the middle of the night the last time we had some unseasonably warm weather, I could have done without!)

I love the snowy picture, that's beautiful. And I'm sorry to hear about your father. Keep us posted.

I think we could have more than one train thread, this to continue this specific location theme and another from other places. I am listening to a train now off in the distance, although they aren't so noticeable this time of year, but I enjoy all the different sounding horns. (The one who was changing cars or something in the middle of the night the last time we had some unseasonably warm weather, I could have done without!)

If I'm correct, there is a general train thread somewhere on here.
I'll keep y'all posted about my father.
Give Virginia some of that warm weather!! We need some. Lol
And thank you for the feedback!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back