Rain and your camera

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by hdukphotographs, Aug 18, 2007.

1. hdukphotographs

hdukphotographs TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Can rain damage your camera if you have the lens protected.
    I watched yesterday as people walked around with their cameras hanging from their necks with no protection from the rain.

2. Jon, The Elder

Jon, The Elder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Of course it can. Few cameras are considered water resistant, none are 'waterproof'.

Water will invade any place it can. Cameras not only have delicate mechanical parts that can corrode, but there are dozens of electrical pathways and connections.

There are several covers and protection cases available for bad weather shooting. It is the old story of ...."an ounce of prevention".

3. Dm3k1

Dm3k1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^ Agreed, All though there are some all weather cameras that one need not worry about a "little rain"- And olympus does manufacture (so does pentax) "waterproof" cameras that have been spec'd for underwater shooting (minimal distances).

Unless they had one of those cameras, or walking around with a camera with housing (which im sure they wern't) then yes, it can damage the camera.

4. Edu Defferrari

Edu Defferrari TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I always cover the camera the with a plastic bag when start to rain. Let the filter outside and take your pictures. I never had a problem...
    Parasol can help too.