kkart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
kkart.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
oldredbarnlandscapedaniels7188gf7.jpg

Description: To see this made me sad....here it sat....the gate locked with a sign saying "Please leave gate unlocked, inspector coming at 2:30" I sat here just shooting away, thinking, about how long it has been there...ages probably. Probably late 1800's and was in the family for years. More than likely sold off to pay bills as the farm couldn't turn a profit anymore. Someone manage to mow part of the farmyard though to keep it all tip top and in shape. I wonder if they'll tear it down....I would think and hope not. It's one saving grace that it may have is that it is essentially on site of a county park. American Farmers....it sure is sad what has happened to them over the years.

Daniels Park, Colorado

Minolta 5d/Minolta 18-200 DT Lens/Singh-Ray CPL
Shutter Speed: 1/320 second
F Number: F/9.0
Focal Length: 90 mm
ISO Speed: 100

I thought the song below pretty well illustrated the entire scene.

Rain on the Scarecrow-John Cougar
Scarecrow on a wooden cross blackbird in the barn
Four hundred empty acres that used to be my farm
I grew up like my daddy did my grandpa cleared this land
When I was five I walked the fence while grandpa held my hand

Chorus:
Rain on the scarecrow blood on the plow
This land fed a nation this land made me proud
And son Im just sorry theres no legacy for you now

The crops we grew last summer werent enough to pay the loans
Couldnt buy the seed to plant this spring and the farmers bank foreclosed
Called my old friend schepman up to auction off the land
He said john its just my job and I hope you understand
Hey calling it your job ol hoss sure dont make it right
But if you want me to Ill say a prayer for your soul tonight
And grandmas on the front porch swing with a Bible in her hand
Sometimes I hear her singing take me to the promised land
When you take away a mans dignity he cant work his fields and cows

Therell be blood on the scarecrow blood on the plow
Blood on the scarecrow blood on the plow

Well theres ninety-seven crosses planted in the courthouse yard
Ninety-seven families who lost ninety-seven farms
I think about my grandpa and my neighbors and my name
And some nights I feel like dyin like that scarecrow in the rain

i would like to see this without the sky so . . .overpowering. otherwise i like it. and you did a good job documenting it in case it doesn't stay there. just think, you could be in textbooks because of this image, or some like it. similar to brassai and atage for paris, and like the frontier photographers. how awesome would that be

newrmdmike said:
i would like to see this without the sky so . . .overpowering. otherwise i like it. and you did a good job documenting it in case it doesn't stay there. just think, you could be in textbooks because of this image, or some like it. similar to brassai and atage for paris, and like the frontier photographers. how awesome would that be

Ya no kiddin that would be downright the bizz there! Incidentally, so far, I have posted this on DA and about 7 other photo forums and yer the only one who hasn't liked the sky lol Honestly, I kinda agree with ya and those were my thoughts as well at first, now I don't know...I kinda like it. People seem to really dig it also. I am thinking though on first snowfall this year I will go back and re-shoot it in the snow....I am placing a bet it makes for some really good dramatic shots. ALso...I wanna get there with morning light...it would just be perfect for that

This is very well done, John! Nice saturation of colors. I REALLY like the composition.....nicely balanced with the barn and the two peaks on the right side. And you took something that wouldn't normally be that appealing (snow fence) and made it interesting with the way it gradually tumbles to the ground in the lower right corner....it works very well and compliments the line of the road in the center of the image. Great job!

Awesome shot. I hope it is not true, but this could be one of the last shots of this great structure. Nicely captured John.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back