Rain photos - a series that needs critique

Discussion in 'Specific Technical Assistance' started by Iron Flatline, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Ok, first off a few apologies. I know we're not supposed to post multiple images, but in this case I'm trying to see what people think about a series I've begun.

Also, I'm a little befuddled by the two Critique Forums. These are not finished work, but I'm not really seeking (solely) technical advice, though that might open up certain avenues as well.

So...

It's been raining incessantly in Berlin for the last four weeks. The following are images that I've taken sitting in my parked car at night, with various degrees of condensation and rainwater on the windshield.

These two are EXTREMELY abstract. I'm not sure they work as photographs any longer, but I must admit I'm intrigued by them as abstract art:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next few images have a subject (or urban landscape) that is somewhat more discernable. There are certainly some over-exposure issues, though I find they are acceptable within the creative conceit.

On this first one, I'm intrigued by the way the light flares in the water at the center of the image, the way the light seems to bloom from top-left to bottom-right.

[​IMG]

The following shot is a more classic composition with a person walking through the shot.

[​IMG]

This street shot looking along the lit-up theater has interesting colors, but lacks a sharp spot. Does it work? Is it rainy? Or just out-of-focus?

[​IMG]

And then finally, the bus stop one more time, with less water on the windshield:

[​IMG]

2. silver163

silver163 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    they are extremely blurry which makes them really hard to see and less interesting. perhaps you should try increasing a little bit of the saturation and/or try b&w imo

3. gtkelly

gtkelly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The blur \out of focus situation is very distracting.

I do like the 4th down (classic composition). You might consider cropping the farthest right portion out up to the middle of the lighted sign, as that sun thing in the middle is so bright it pulls me there every time. Just something to give it the lonely\cold feeling it seems to need.

4. blackdoglab

blackdoglab yeah I'm easy.... but I'm not cheap

Photos OK to edit
    shots 3 and 4 work the best for me. The rain causes just enough diffusion to soften the colors, but the image itself is still distinguishable. The saturation on these is fine for me, but I'd like to see them in black and white as well.

5. Aquarium Dreams

Aquarium Dreams TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like these! I dig the wild night colors, and the way the rain makes the color looked smeared. Of the first two, I prefer number one due to the crop and sharpness (the second one looks out of focus, not simply blurred by the rain), and because it looks more indiscernable somehow, more mysterious. The last four remind me of toy camera shots, with the first two being my favorites, because the second two are too much out of focus for my taste.