Random lines during night photography

Brexxin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just picked up a Rokinon 12mm f2.0 for my A6000. I went outside to take a few test shots of the big dipper and i noticed these lines in one of the photos. Any idea what caused it?
mess around-61-2.jpg

30s, f2.8, iso320.

Something moving fast with a flashing light. An aeroplane?

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

Airplane is also my guess.

"Rule 408: Time is not the boss of you"

Yeah, if it were an epic alien space battle the line wouldn't be so straight.

"Rule 408: Time is not the boss of you"

Low flying jet with the engines on the rear of the fuselage. So something as small as a Lear to as large as a MD-88.

Can't be more specific than that though ...
I could probably calculate out it's approximate altitude & speed too if I really cared ...

Here's a closeup of an oncoming B717 flying from Detroit City to Traverse City on a low altitude flight path. Notice the 2 dots from the engines on either side of the lights. You'll notice that the Oncoming engines end up being pulsating light and are seen in your photo on either side of the red light at various locations throughout the exposure. Whereas the safety lights (red, green, white) are long lights as they rotate forward and back. If it's flying away, the light patterns are different.
20161120_B717 (1 of 1) by Steve Sklar, on Flickr

I have to double check, but I think the aircraft came from the distance bottom right to the top left, as the red light is on the left (port side) of the plane .. or I got it backwards .. one way or another.
AirCraft_lights.jpg

Last edited:
Either that or it was an alien aircraft :)

btw, even though you did a 30 second exposure ... weren't you watching at all ?
Jet's tend to make a bit of noise even with super quiet engines.
Even though a few business jets fly over my house at about 200 ft or so that are as quiet as a car driving down the street.

ISS doesn't go on, off, on, off, on, off.
It can get brighter and as it comes into view and dimmer as it goes into Earth's shadow but in between it is always 'on'.

International Space Station
Yup, ISS is mostly seen when reflecting the sun's light. So it's always a bright blob going across the sky when it can be visibly seen.

I did hear a jet fly overhead soon after this photo. My assumption was that the light trail would have continued out of frame if that was the case.mess around-61-3.jpg

Most reactions

Back