Random MS Windows Thoughts.......................

snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
internetwhispers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
........................ and gripes! WTH?! It's nutty little things like these that make me think more and more about a Mac. So, one day I noticed my Bluetooth icon is gone from the systray. Yes, just disappeared! I spent 2 days trying to fix that one, finally gave up in disgust. 3 days later (yes, 3 days. Not 2, not 1, not 4), it reappears, just out of the blue! Grrrr!!!!! Then today, I want to do my weekly backup. No problem, plug in my WD Passport 1TB drive like I've always done. Right? WRONG!! I could NOT get it to show up in Explorer or my backup program! Spent 3 hours trying everything under the sun! I see it in Device Manager! I see it in Drives! I can "safely eject" if from the system try................... but it's not to be seen by anything I NEED to use! Grrrrrrrr!!!!! How I fixed it was purely an educated guess.......... in one of the windows, where it shows all the drives and properties, Computer Management, where it of course appeared just fine, I simply right-clicked on it and then noticed an option to assign it a drive letter so it could be accessed. WTH?!?! I use this thing every week!! How did it lose its drive letter?!?!?! Grrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that fixed it. I just backed up my laptop.

Three days? My first guess is a that it took a holiday weekend. I love OS-X but when my Mac Book took a crap, I couldn't fix or replace it with another - they are just too expensive. Maybe later, but for now I'll have to muddle through with win-boom.

Yeah, funny things are always happening on this little Acer laptop. It's a nice, small UltraBook, but I'm not sure there aren't some hardware problems. But knowing Windows.......... probably not!!

Three days? My first guess is a that it took a holiday weekend. I love OS-X but when my Mac Book took a crap, I couldn't fix or replace it with another - they are just too expensive. Maybe later, but for now I'll have to muddle through with win-boom.

Why don't you try building a hackintosh? Most Intel hardware is compatible and has the appropriate drivers now. I even gotten my AMD computer running OSX.

Last edited:

Why don't you try building a hackintosh? Most Intel hardware is compatible has the appropriate drivers now. I even gotten my AMD computer running OSX.
Never heard of such a thing. How much does one pay for an Apple operating system?

Why don't you try building a hackintosh? Most Intel hardware is compatible has the appropriate drivers now. I even gotten my AMD computer running OSX.
Never heard of such a thing. How much does one pay for an Apple operating system?

OSX ever since Mavericks is free to download.

It's not as straightforward as building a computer then installing windows, but once you get OSX actually running, it's stable unless you do something to it. I spent over 60 or 70 hours getting Yosemite to run on my AMD hardware (was sleep deprived for a week and a half) But if you start with Intel, it should be much easier.

But. I don't think you can you legally license OS-X to run on anything but Apple hardware.

I have two Windows PCs (one at work, one at home), a Windows laptop, a Mac (work) and a Macbook (home--well, not AT home currently, since my youngest son has commandered it for school).

I guess I'm weird because I don't really have a horribly strong preference for one or the other system. As far as I'm concerned, they both have their quirks and things I don't care for.

My iMac sometimes just suddenly decides to no longer recognize my wireless mouse. First time it happened, I assumed it was the batteries, but in fact it's just totally random. The only way I've found to successfully get it to recognize it again is to turn the mouse off, then restart the computer, then turn the mouse back on while it's restarting. Just like your Windows problem, it's not a big deal, but it IS a PITA when you're working on something and now you have to save it, close it and restart.
My Macbook occasionally just decides to freeze up completely; you have to shut it off and wait a while; if you restart it too soon, it'll just freeze right back up. Admittedly, it's a pretty old Macbook.

I do have a slight preference for the Apple OS, especially over Win 8. But on the other hand, I despise iPhoto and iTunes.

On the whole, I'm perfectly happy NOT paying the "shiny tax" for a Mac for my personal use. I can get more bang for my buck, in terms of hard drive space, speed, etc. with a Windows unit.

Did you try restarting it?

Usually, upon a reboot, other, new niggles appear! It may fix one problem, but introduce another. Acer is famous for their laptop keyboard hardware QC, or lack thereof. My "J" key only works about 20% of the time on the first depression. I usually catch most of them, but you've probably seen many words from me that are J-less. Then, to turn up my brightness, I hold the function key + right arrow to increase and left arrow to decrease.............. but 90% of the time, just using the right arrow to move around causes the brightness to increase, without using the function key! Grrrr!! Very irritating!

Usually, upon a reboot, other, new niggles appear! It may fix one problem, but introduce another. Acer is famous for their laptop keyboard hardware QC, or lack thereof. My "J" key only works about 20% of the time on the first depression. I usually catch most of them, but you've probably seen many words from me that are J-less. Then, to turn up my brightness, I hold the function key + right arrow to increase and left arrow to decrease.............. but 90% of the time, just using the right arrow to move around causes the brightness to increase, without using the function key! Grrrr!! Very irritating!

Did you check for updates in a then reboot?

Did you check for updates in a then reboot?
Yes. Many. Times. Like I said, just small, irritating niggles. I'm learning to not stress so much over the small stuff.

Well, there you have it. Your Acer is simply trying to help you live a simpler, more stress-free lifestyle. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back