Random MS Windows Thoughts.......................

Honestly, if i had the real bucks to spend i would hire someone to build me one. i know about computers but not enough for setup and top line. The last really nice computer i had (you know other than these store bought junks) i wanted for a particular business use. i brought some computer advertisments with pricing to a local builder (back then some people made a living on building them still). showed the guy the price range for some top systems and explained to him that he didn't have to match it, but stay within a few hundred or grand or whatever so i could stay local while filling my computer needs.. He built that thing particularly for what i wanted it for and i went years without a problem. He even had it dual boot right from his shop, had added another program to reconfigure windows handles he came up with. The thing flew for speed (least for its era). Find that in a over the counter model. You won't. Custom built is totally different. Just real top shelf, i kinda wish i could do it again.

Last edited:
Guys on another forum educated me on the new Mac Pro. That's not the "Macbook" Pro, just Mac Pro. Go shop an Apple's site, configure one all tricked out, then faint at the coin they want for it.

On the whole, I'm perfectly happy NOT paying the "shiny tax" for a Mac for my personal use. I can get more bang for my buck, in terms of hard drive space, speed, etc. with a Windows unit.

Exactly! For the needs of most people, from a cost/benefit perspective, the Mac is a loser. Kudos to their marketing team, though; I bet they could sell snow to Eskimos.

Well, to be honest with you Snerd, Acer isn't exactly known for their product quality. . . . . . or their support for that matter. Add to that all the random bloatware that ends up on mass market retail laptops, coupled with the low end cost saving components and it's a wonder they work at all. Of course, this is usually the point where people running $1k+ Apple laptops like to point out that your laptop sucks because it's a Windows unit, without even considering the quality differences likely to be inherent between a $1k laptop and a $400 laptop. :azzangel:

I built my current tower back in 09 when Windows 7 came out. It's still running strong. Spec out your own machine and you'd be surprised at what you can get for your money.

I hand built my own desktop this last year and I fully expect it to last about 6 years before I need a new one. Right now it is on par, performancewise, with a Mac Pro in about the $4000 range. But I spent more like $1800. I like Mac's and I have a Macbook Pro from work, which I love and use all the time. Sadly the price difference is clearly apparent and those of us who can build machines can build far more powerful for far less.

I've got a fairly nice desktop computer. Dell XPS 8100, i7 @ 2.93ghz, 12gb ram, nVidia 1gb graphics, Dell 24" inch HD monitor. But it's very hard to sit in there anymore with my back. 95% of the pain manifests in my ass. Sitting is murder. So, I am using my laptop 95% of the time now. Laying in bed. On my back or side. Or reclining in a chair. And you can't build your own laptop. So............ I'll have to decide what to replace this one with in the near future. I really like that it's an Ultrabook, weighs about 3lbs, 14" screen, i5 processor, 6gb ram. Next one, I want at least a 15" screen, 16gb mem and good graphics so I can edit my photos on it. Decisions decisions. What say ye all on a laptop choice?

I've got a fairly nice desktop computer. Dell XPS 8100, i7 @ 2.93ghz, 12gb ram, nVidia 1gb graphics, Dell 24" inch HD monitor. But it's very hard to sit in there anymore with my back. 95% of the pain manifests in my ass. Sitting is murder. So, I am using my laptop 95% of the time now. Laying in bed. On my back or side. Or reclining in a chair. And you can't build your own laptop. So............ I'll have to decide what to replace this one with in the near future. I really like that it's an Ultrabook, weighs about 3lbs, 14" screen, i5 processor, 6gb ram. Next one, I want at least a 15" screen, 16gb mem and good graphics so I can edit my photos on it. Decisions decisions. What say ye all on a laptop choice?
Snerd, look at the MSI Ghost Pro's, they have an i7 4710, 16-32GB memory, a GTX970 video card, and much more, in a slim package with a light up keyboard for working in the dark. With photoshop set to use the video card they will be super quick at making changes and working quickly.

Here is a link to one on Amazon. Amazon.com : MSI Computer GS60 Ghost Pro-064 15.6-Inch Laptop : Computers & Accessories

If you don't like the price you can go cheaper and get an Asus G751 with the same specs or close for about $1500. But they are 17" and much larger body as well.

Both of these are what most people would consider a desktop replacement and have the power of a high end gaming rig or a $3000+ Macbook Pro.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The MSI's are looking pretty good. I'd love to have a 17" inch monitor, and some of those models have 6 & 8 gb of video mem! Sweet!

They do make a 17" laptop if you've got 2k to shell out. ;)

Oh yeah.......... a backlit keyboard is a must!! Coolest thing since pockets on shirts! So I'm kind of at something along the lines of the MSI 17" tricked out for around $2400 or the MBP 15" tricked out at around $3400. A thousand dollars and 2.3 extra inches of screen. ???

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Have you considered the Surface Pro 3? The screen is a bit smaller than you're asking for, but if you're usually lying in bed or otherwise lounging around while you do your computing, the lightness of the device and its tablet mode might be handy. For more "heavy-lifting" tasks, you can always hook up a larger display and keyboard, mouse, etc.

As much as I love my desktop, if the Surface Pro were around at the time I was in the market, I would have bought that instead.

Have you considered the Surface Pro 3? ....
Not really. A 12" screen is just WAY too small for editing photos. For me anyway. On this 14" I have now it's small. And I could only find the Pro 3 with 8gb ram? Surely they have a bigger capacity one?

You know, it could be cheaper to just invest in a quality chair. ;) An Aeron chair and a headrest to go with it and you'd be set to sit.

I have a macbook pro now but had a ACER 4810tz, still have it but I found that when the original hard drive packed up and had to be replaced things started to go down hill little problems that needled me grew more frequent and I found I could not install demanding programs because they would really tax the thing compared to previously. I still use it now for just general web surfing etc but nothing else. In my view windows based platforms have a limited shelf life.

You know, it could be cheaper to just invest in a quality chair. ;) An Aeron chair and a headrest to go with it and you'd be set to sit.
And therein lies the rub............. sitting. I'm "really" having to completely redo my existence, as far as sitting. I just can't! Well, for more than a few minutes at a time. Even driving, I have my left leg pushing the floorboard to raise my arse off the seat an inch or so. It really, REALLY sucks! Sad to say........... the only thing allowing me some semblance of a "normal" lifestyle is my 4 percocets a day, and an Ambien at night so I can get a few hours sleep. They numb my butt just enough to make it a very painful experience. Without them, I'm totally in bed all day, crying from the pain. Been there done that. They now have a name for it......... FBS, Failed Back Syndrome. It means there's nothing left to do to try and fix it. It is what it is.

Soooooooooo............................. Ima gonna need a gooda lapatopa!! Need more suggestions, thanks!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back