Random shots...C&C

I have been shooting all of my shots in manual the last month...but I cheat a little.
When I am shooting and am not too sure of the settings (99% of the time), I will put the camera into one of the program modes, depress the shutter, and look to see what the camera is set at. That gets me close and then I experiment.

That is one way, the only problem with that is if your camera's auto mode is lying to you ;)

I like the original fire hydrant pics better. Yeah they are still red (don't think you can change that legally) but I think being able to see the texture of the paint creates a greater depth of field. Also, I don't mind the shadows, they help to give a more third dimensional look to it. I also like the fence behind when I can see the top. I don't like that sign behind it because I keep looking at it trying to figure out what it says (must be my ADD, Squirrel!)

P.S. If you haven't seen the movie UP!, you won't get the Squirrel joke.:lmao:

LOL, I will have to watch "UP" now...
I could change the color of it (legally)...because its actually an old antique hydrant my grandmother has in her yard.lol But, she just repainted it red.
And the sign in the back says "Delaina UTTS"...
:lmao:

Looked at that first pic again. Definitely looks like flash shadow.

Also, I think it would benefit from using a smaller aperture and a longer shutter speed, to get more of the bark in focus.

The landscape picture is missing something. The way you included the tree and put it down in the corner was good, but there is just not enough else going on to make it a super good pic. Some more clouds would have been good. Something else in the foreground would help too.

I like the second fire hydrant photo better, but I'm not sure what you were trying to show. You think it's cute? Just a lot of color? Or just playing around with the new camera?

Also, if you don't have a good tripod yet, get one. You don't need a multi-hundred dollar one. Just one of the larger aluminum Sliks would do fine. I have a U8000 that cost about $60 that I just love. This will free you from worries of shutter speeds too slow to hand-hold and concentrate on the effects of aperture. It will also allow you to always shoot on the least sensitive sensitivity setting, giving the least amount of grain and the sharpest images.

Lol--it was colorful---and I was just experimenting in the backyard. Tried to find birds...didn't have a lot to choose from in the yard/house. So a hydrant worked ok.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back