Random things

f/22 is probably overkill. You should stop down a bit, but mainly your DOF is very shallow because you are quite close to the subject. As you move back further, you DOF will increase. Try f/8 and standing 6-8 feet away.

Also notice how shallow your DOF is on the hat, The front of the bill, and the top right where it meets the front are both blurry. You DOF is about 2 inches in this photo. This can be very useful in some cases for isolating a subject, its just a matter of learning to make it happen when you want it. Same goes for the flowers. The flowers are a bit overexposed, you should dial down you Flash. I think it is under FEC, or Flash exposure compensation in your manual.

A good exercise would be to arrange a bunch of objects on a table each one several inches back from the next, and staggered so you can see them all at one, use maybe 4 action figures or blocks(it helps if you have kids toys!) then use a tripod, or at least stand or sit in the same spot about 5 feet away, start by focusing on the front object, and take shots at say f/2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, and 8, then move back to about 10, or 15 feet away, and repeat the process. Then compare all of the shots on you computer. This will give you a good feel for DOF in relation to the distance between you and the subject.

Also do a google search for "understanding Depth of field" or "Apurture and depth of field"
about that...i was using manual mode and the meter was right in the middle...but ive noticed that if i raise the flash or leave it closed the meter stays the same...so i am guessing the camera dosent recognize that im using the flash...?

yea i did...should i have used the 18-55

not necessarily.

Just keep practicing, you don't need no go all the way to f22 either. Some body recomended f8 and that is probably a good place to go from.
Put it in Av mode and stop down one stop at a time starting from maybe f5.6 and see what stop gives you the DOF you want.

If you pop up flash is up you camera will automatically do the calculation as to how bright it should be, to the best of its ability. I don't think this is reflected in the meter display, so if you stop down the flash intensity will automatically increase, If you open the aperture, the flash intensity will decrease. If your pictures are too bright or too dark then the camera's calculations are just a bit off, so there is a button that is marked with a lightning bolt and +/-. Im not sure where it is on a rebel, but on a 20D you press the button then use the wheel to go + or -

If you pop up flash is up you camera will automatically do the calculation as to how bright it should be, to the best of its ability. I don't think this is reflected in the meter display, so if you stop down the flash intensity will automatically increase, If you open the aperture, the flash intensity will decrease. If your pictures are too bright or too dark then the camera's calculations are just a bit off, so there is a button that is marked with a lightning bolt and +/-. Im not sure where it is on a rebel, but on a 20D you press the button then use the wheel to go + or -
yea i did that..i made sure the meter was right in the center

also my computer screen looks so dark compared to my camera screen...i guess i shouldnt have brighten them

didn't mean you should've used your 18-55mm, was just asking, everything i've shot since i got my 50mm has been with my 50mm but i do know that in some situations the 18-55mm could work in your favour...EXPERIMENT! :)

didn't mean you should've used your 18-55mm, was just asking, everything i've shot since i got my 50mm has been with my 50mm but i do know that in some situations the 18-55mm could work in your favour...EXPERIMENT! :)
thanks appreciate it...im going to the beach next week :)...bringing my slr, going to be taking pics like crazy

Most reactions

Back