Rangefinder suggestions

darin3200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
friedrichsphotography.com
I need some suggestions on buying a rangefinder camera. I'm looking to spend under $150 for camera and lens. Preferably small and a fast (f/1.8), nice lens for the price and a light meter isn't necessary at all. The main problem I am having with my yashica now is lack of manual shutter control and the f/stop ring only clicks at 2.8, 5.6 and 11

I'm totally lost, any suggestions?
Thanks!

You might want to look into the Russian rangefinders (Leica copies) like Zorkii, Kiev and so on. They're built like a tank, pretty nice optics.

I have a yashica that I picked up in mint condition for $20 plus a bunch of accessories. If I was doing it over again I would probably opt for the canonet, because the rangefinder spot is considerably brighter, or if I wasnt such a tight arse a bessa-r :mrgreen:.

Hello again,

Thought I might suggest the Canon QL17 GIII. Fast 1.7 lens and full manual control option (although IIRC the camera doesn't meter in manual mode). A real classic camera, and you should get a decent one for less than your budget.

If you want interchangable lenses, then the FSU cameras like the Zorkiis and Feds are worth looking at, as has already been mentioned. The only fly in the ointment as far as the FSU gear is concerned is that the lenses tend to be either good, or bl**dy awful, depending on whether the guy who put it together was worried about the length of the queue at the bread shop that day.:er:

Fuddy

the Zorki 4 is a nice camera but if I were you I would get myself a Zorki 1, IMO they are much better built than the 4 (it's lacking slow shutter speeds - 1/20 is the slowest, just old Leica times and 1/500 is top speed). It would probably come with a collapsable Industar 22 which has f3.5 but you could get a jupiter 8 lens, or even a jupiter 3 f1.5 50. The Zorki 4 is a nice allrounder, the 1 something more like a collectable (note - the Zorki 1 is much smaller and has the look of a Leica II :D). anyways, good lucks on getting on of those.

santino said:
the Zorki 4 is a nice camera but if I were you I would get myself a Zorki 1, IMO they are much better built than the 4 (it's lacking slow shutter speeds - 1/20 is the slowest, just old Leica times and 1/500 is top speed). It would probably come with a collapsable Industar 22 which has f3.5 but you could get a jupiter 8 lens, or even a jupiter 3 f1.5 50. The Zorki 4 is a nice allrounder, the 1 something more like a collectable (note - the Zorki 1 is much smaller and has the look of a Leica II :D). anyways, good lucks on getting on of those.

According to this guy, the model without shutter speeds is the MIR; the Zorki 4 is mostly identical but has all the slow speeds plus B, in addition to a top speed of 1/1000. Of course since these cameras were made for nearly 20 years it's possible that they made some changes.

I second the suggestion about lurking on http://www.rangefinderforum.com where the Russian section is very busy. I bought a Yashica Electro 35 GSN from eBay, but it was in very poor condition so I decided to invest some cash and now I've got a Bessa R2a with the Ultron f1.7 35mm lens. It's excellent in every respect. What amazed me, as an SLR user, was being able to shoot handheld down to 1/15th and even 1/8th of a second. Who needs a flash?

ZaphodB said:
According to this guy, the model without shutter speeds is the MIR; the Zorki 4 is mostly identical but has all the slow speeds plus B, in addition to a top speed of 1/1000. Of course since these cameras were made for nearly 20 years it's possible that they made some changes.

I know the MIR but I was talking about the Zorki 1(d)(c - and so on) , not the Zorki 4 (MIR). I think there is no reason buying a MIR instead of a Zorki 4, it is nearly the same besides the fact that it lacks slow shutter speeds (and had been produced exclusively for the soviet market). The Zorki 4 was better built because of export. Trust, the newer your russian camera the worse it is, quality dicreased over the years. There are also different types of Zorki 4, one has engraved speeds and one just painted, then there is the 4K and so on. The Zorki 1 is far better build and I prefer it. just my 2 cents

Although it isn't the best camera I really like my Yashica just because of the style it allows. Because the lens isn't as long it fits better into my coat pockets, its also so quite, I find my self doing a lot more street style photography. I'll probably end up buying a zorki 1.

Most reactions

Back