Rangefinders.

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by yellowjeep, Apr 4, 2008.

1. yellowjeep

yellowjeep TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can somebody explain the cameras to me? I am intrigued by them and I know of a few antique stores that have piles of them.

What should I look? I mean I can recognize brands like Leica, but I doubt there is anything like that in the stores. What are some other brands? Are there any tip offs that a camera might not be worth the money?

2. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    How much do you want to spend? Do you want interchangeable lenses, or is a fixed lens ok for you?

I recently bought a Canon Canonet QL17, with a fixed 40mm f/1.7 lens. It's all i've used since I got it about a month ago. I paid around $50 shipped for two broken ones.. used the parts to make one working one. They usually sell anywhere from $20-$150 depending on condition.

for further reading, check this thread:
    http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112090

3. yellowjeep

yellowjeep TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would like to spend no more than about 100 bucks. I would like interchangeable lenses, but I would settle for fixed if was good and the price was right. I read an article in Shutterbug about the Canon 7 and its f0.95 Dream lens.:drool: but that is a little more that out of my current price range.

Thanks for the link btw.

4. bhop

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think i've seen any with interchangeable lenses for anywhere near $100..

5. yellowjeep

yellowjeep TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  6. christopher walrath

christopher walrath No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anything that has the name Ziess Ikon on it would probably be worth picking up. And folding cameras are fun. Even if they are junk you can experiment by tearing them up and building things that make people think that your are a bit on the loon. Have fun.

7. ully

ully TPF Noob!

bhop, $100 give gets you a lot of choice. I have a Fed2 and a Fed5 both are very good, paid less than $30 for both of them. They have interchangeable Lieka Thread Mount lenses. Kievs are also quite popular on the RFF. The lenses are quite small and high quality.

I have also to two Yashicas, two Minoltas, and two Konicas and one Olympus.
    I have never paid more than $50 for any of them. There are many other brands out there on ebay.

Modern ones would be Hexar, Voightlander and of course Lieca but all are much more money.

8. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  9. yellowjeep

yellowjeep TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That Kodka is um cute. It does look very cool. Thanks all for your advice so far. I really like the looks of the Fed cameras, I am having problems finding them stateside though.

10. Smith2688

Smith2688 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can get a Kiev, Zorki, Fed, or some other Russian rangefinder that has interchangeable lenses for $100 or under. The Kiev's and Zorki's (and I think the Fed's) are Contax rangefinder copies.

EDIT: Your best bet for finding them is probably eBay or the Fedka store: http://www.fedka.com/catalog/

You can also look into an Olympus 35RC, or a Canon Canonet QL17, or a Yashica Electron GSN (or one of its several siblings) if you don't mind a fixed lens.

11. bhop

Photos OK to edit
    On a related note. I took my Nikon FE SLR out today. First i've used it since I got the Canonet and the shutter seems very loud in comparison...

12. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've used a Fed 3 and a Zorki 4 - I had the Zorki for many years. They have Leica screw lens mounts, as already mentioned, and they are compatible with Leica screw-mount lenses. The Kiev is a Contax copy.

For info: Leica screw-mount lenses can be used on an M-mount via an adaptor.

I was quite happy with the Zorki 4. I would have preferred the lever-wind version. I was lucky and got a good lens with it. Lens quality is very hit-and-miss.

Best,
    Helen