Rant: What would you do?

Terri Walsh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I currently have a "client" that was gifted a gift certificate. The certificate was for the sitting fee and an 8x10 print.
I scheduled them in and did the photos over 6 weeks ago and was a while hearing back. I got a call regarding pricing/deal if another session was to be booked and if they wanted to high resolution digital files. I sent them the details on the pricing of the high res. files (I dont give them away!). I then heard back about it being too expensive and now they only want the free 8x10 although they loved the photos?!.
After editting all those pictures, no sales what so ever!
And, to top it off, they had not decided on the free one and the gallery is since down so they want to know how they choose?! (put the gallery back up or come to my house?)

Help? :x

i'd be a little ticked, but I would smile big, give them the free 8x10, a bunch of biz cards, and hope that the great photo they do get brings in furute sales, or that they decide at a later point in time that they want more of the images. (maybe its just too hard financially right now)

If it is easier, I would put the gallery back up. And no matter what, I wouldnt drop the price on the digital files. Sounds like that is what they are fishing for...

Good luck.

Kristal

Thanks Kristal, that fishing is what I was thinking too and I was almost ready to give! I did also think of trying to somehow push the prints. afterall if you could not afford the cd would you not still want some prints???
I was also going to say I do keep files of everything and should at a later point they want more prints that would always be available....
Its no problem to put the gallery back up, just take it down to try to get things going....

Thanks!

I would put the galley back up and make sure everything is water marked and only put it up for 5 days.
Get them the 8X10, thank them for the business and move on.

Definitely low res and watermark the gallery online. They might be a little annoyed at you because you aren't giving them the stuff for free, though. That's just how some (a few) people are. They try to get something for nothing and get angry when they get called out on it.

Maybe future gift certificates could have certain conditions. Like "Free photoshoot with purchase of $X.XX amount of photos). Just a suggestion. Either that or keep it the way it is and get burned occasionally. Many businesses get burned on promos by people who are cheapskates. But to many companies, its still worth the publicity and the other amount of people who will buy. It evens out in the black for them, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

BTW, I'm a noob photographer but I do know a bit about having your own business, and I think the question at hand is fairly generic in the sense it doesn't involve photography as much as a question on how to run shop. I just am offering a disclaimer that I don't have my own studio or anything like that.

People will value your work based on how much they pay for it. It's strange, but true.

I have a rehosting fee, but I dont think they want to spend anything?!

Terri:

Just out of curiosity, did somebody pay you for the gift certificate... or is it something you gave away free?

As for the "clients," be nice to them... even if they're being cheapos now, they might be good for some referrals in the future.

Good luck.

Terri:

Just out of curiosity, did somebody pay you for the gift certificate... or is it something you gave away free?

As for the "clients," be nice to them... even if they're being cheapos now, they might be good for some referrals in the future.

Good luck.

The certificate was paid for. The 8x10 was complimentary with the certificate.
Thanks!

Terri, did you try explaining why the digital file cost more than the prints to your clients? Your clients may not have thought about the reason on their own.

yes I did explain and I also even directed them to "why Does Custom Photography Cost More". (I guess I had an idea early on when they were fishing for a "deal" if they were to book me again in about 6 months)

Thanks everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back