RAW conversion and printing question?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Tatony333, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Tatony333

Tatony333 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, this is only my second post my first is in the intro section.

I just have a question about printing a photoshop file. I always shot in RAW, and when i process my images in lightroom2 and export my file in the psd file format it's always like 60mb in size and looks awsome, i then export same processed file in jpg format at 100% quality format and its like 6mb, and the jpg file always just doesnt look as sharp or the color is usally a little brighter.
    My question is should this be happening and also can i print a huge psd file at my local photo store because the file is like 60mb. I like to print large amounts of photos at a time (100's) this would take forever sending them online to the store if it were even possible.
    Thanks.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If the JPEG file looks different from you PSD file...check your color space settings.

Very few lab/printers will accept PSD files. They probably all could but they are just too big. You shouldn't have any problems getting good prints from JPEG files, so I'd suggest that any problem you are having will be in your workflow somewhere.

3. Tatony333

Tatony333 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You were bang on about the color space settings...for some reason when i export in psd it's set to srgb when i switch to jpg it changes it self to adobergb..weird..i just changed the setting and it works fine..
    Thanks Mike..

4. Enem178

Enem178 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well ever since I got some advice on this forum, anything I plan on printing I save in a TIFF file. They are larger than JPEG's but i've had no problem printing my photo's at wallgreens.