RAW Conversion Software

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend of mine got a D60 that isn't recognized by RawShooter Essentials 06. Can anyone recommend another program (ideally a free prog) that offers similar features / quality?

The D60 didn't come with software? I'm sure it can be downloaded from the Nikon site.

If he has any version of Photoshop there is a free plug-in that can be downloaded.

I think our definitions of "free" might differ slightly. :sexywink:

Honestly... I never considered Nikon's software. I have a D50 myself and never bothered looking at it. Is it any good? I was able to get RawShooter Essentials 06 for the D50 so I've always used that (but will be getting CS3 shortly). I didn't want to recommend some cheeseball prog to him like Picasa though and I suspect the free Nikon software might fit under the category of "cheeseball".

lets see, using the formula developed by nikon for nikon files is cheeseball.

please.

now if you want more filters, and ticks than perhaps one does need to look elsewhere.

there is a free program that is very nice and will do a lot more than picas, it is called phtoscape.

there is also a program developed called toneup that is very good and is very inexpensive.

now if you want more filters, and ticks than perhaps one does need to look elsewhere.

... yes that's the issue. I'd want as much in the program as possible. I'll have to check out Nikon's software so I can argue it better :sexywink: but I'd be surprised if it has the guts in it that RSE or Bibble have. I'm not saying it's crap... I'm saying there are entry level programs and advanced programs. I'd want an advanced one.

try corel painter pro XI, can be found under 50 dollars, new and unopened, or photelements 6; however, i think 7 is about to be released and you might want to wait. it should be around 100 dollars and they are both more robust than photoscape.

there is always GIMP which is free and very robost.

i like capture nx and nx2. that's what i use to process raws, and i like it far more than adobe camera raw even though i haven't used it too much

Most reactions

New Topics

Back