RAW...converting to Jpeg

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by three_eyed_otter, Jul 17, 2008.

1. three_eyed_otter

three_eyed_otter TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I shoot in RAW and then need to convert to Jpeg...What size Jpeg should I convert to?

I was reading that I should also convert my Jpeg to 300 dpi, any opinions?

Basically I'm looking for some good work-flow techniques when I have 350 RAW photos per 4 GB card to convert to Jpeg. TIA.

have a good one
    3Eo

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What is your final purpose for the image?

You may want to convert it to TIFF for maximum quality, especially if you are going to edit them. If you are just going to do minor work on them and print or digitally display them (web etc) then saving as JPEG is probably OK...and it will save you a lot of file size over TIFF files.

As for what size to convert to...I would just use the native size/resolution. If you want a smaller sized image later, you can create that as a copy from the primary file.

3. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Bingo, Always keep all of your pixels, you never know when you might need them.

4. macdsean

macdsean TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Agreed. I use photoshop when I am editing photos (you can then save into jpeg at MAXIMUM quality). I usually only convert to jpeg once I am completely done editing them so photoshop does a good job of that (and I keep a copy of the RAW file for future editing).

5. three_eyed_otter

Photos OK to edit
    So basically you guys are editing at the RAW stage and then converting to Jpeg...?

I want to do some 4x6 printing (maybe larger if the photo is worthy) and use that polaroid picture viewer that has been collecting dust since St. Nick was last in town. Scrunching the images down for the web isn't really an issue.

How are you guys previewing the 350 photos to get the "wheat from the chaff?" My computer is pretty robust but it takes PS cs3 about 10 sec. (if not more) to open up a single RAW image. I would like to be able to quickly preview the photos and select the best from the rest w/out having to wait on loading a RAW image or only looking @ a thumbnail. What are some personal preferences on preview workflow?

have a good one
    3Eo

6. royalWITHcheese2

royalWITHcheese2 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I personally use Lightroom to look at my images and weed through the ones I want to edit, and bring them into PS. But I know a lot of people use Adobe Bridge as well. I like Lightroom because I can view the picture and do minor corrections, click a button and it goes to PS as a TIFF so I can do selective corrections, and then click save and it's saved in Lightroom again.

7. Resin42

Resin42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I tend to work from Lightroom which lets you make all the same RAW adjustments as Photoshop without the labourious loading and closing. You can transfer your adjusted image straight across to PS (which I've found problematic) or open the RAW image in PS and apply all the same values.

If you don't want to part with the cash then you can download RAWShooter, it's freeware and pretty easy to use.

8. Resin42

Resin42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Dammit I type too slow. :)

9. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are several different ways to preview and cull your RAW images. Lightroom is probably the best option. I use RawShooter Essentials, which was bought out by Adobe when designing Lightroom, so it's fairly similar. Lightroom is a 'workflow' software, specifically designed to make it easier to work with large numbers of images. It's a HUGE difference over trying to use Photoshop.

Also, you can get a free viewer, Irfanview, which can be configured to view raw files.

Several photographers I know, use Picsort, which is also a free download. I think it's good for quickly viewing and sorting photos.

10. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use it, and it's great. But it only works for older cameras AFAIK. It was bought out by Adobe a while back, so they haven't added support for any cameras released after that time.

11. Resin42

Resin42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There you go, I didn't know that, nor that it was Adobe software. Everyday's a school day :)

12. three_eyed_otter

Photos OK to edit
    hmmm...I DL'ed Irfanview the other day but I couldn't figure out how to get a new size out of the thumbnails. I can get Lightroom w/an academic discount for a 100 bucks so maybe I'll give it a go Irfanview doesn't hold up for me.

have a good one
    3Eo