Raw editing problem

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by Markus, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Markus

Markus TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi hope I'm in the right forum for this question. Ok, lets see. I recently downloaded capture NX2 demo because I want to start shooting in raw for the reason of having more latitude in my editing options. Yesterday I tried out my new studio lights for the first time ever shooting in a studio setting. Most of my shots were underexposed, but I thought not a problem I shot in RAW! So I bring them into NX2 and adjust them using the "exposure compensation" slider. I am aware that you can't work miracles just because you shoot in raw, it has it's limitations too. I would say my shots were maybe a stop to a stop and a half under. I had to slide the slider all the way to the end to get them to look good. And they did look good at a small size. Then I looked at them magnified to 100% and forget it! Total Noise, I wouldn't even attempt to print them. So I figure, well to much of an adjustment, so just to see if the noise was still there even with a slight adjustment I tried that and still had an awful lot of noise. Tried using the noise reduction adjuster, no help there either. I shot using a black muslin backdrop, would that complicate things? Maybe make the noise problem worse? I am dissapointed in the whole raw experience, I thought it would yeild better results than it did. At this point I probably won't pay the $180 bucks for it. Then again maybe it is just my inexperience that is the problem and if I learn the program better I will get better results. Sorry for going on and on. If you use NX2 and like it any thoughts you have that may help me would be appreciated. As it stands right now I will do a re-shoot and improve my exposures.

Thanks,

2. Markus

Markus TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just found out why all the noise in my shots. Just saw the exif info and apparently I had the camera set to auto ISO and they were shot at ISO 1600. A re-shoot is in order! I guess the problem wasn't with NX2 after all.

Thanks