RAW file processing

I don't use the Canon software, but in Photoshop etc, the Recovery slider will allow you to recover highlight detail, if it's still there. It basically takes the brightest parts of the image and brings them down. It they were not completely blow out (overexposed) you may be able to recover some detail in those areas. Although, if they are completely blown out...you won't be able to get that detail back.

Of course, there is a price to pay for trying to recover the highlights. Move the slider all the way and see what I mean. It usually doesn't look good for the overall image. I try not to use recovery very much, if I can help it. It's better to get the exposure right when shooting.

If you're new to RAW file shooting and processing, do some reading on ETTR, or Exposing To The Right.

It will save you some time banging your head against the wall. :thumbup:

I didn't put one in because there's a bizillion of them and I didn't want to single on place out. I mean you just have to google it.. ;)

I have a Canon EOS 40D. I am new at processing Raw files. I use the software that came with the camera. What is recovery? What does this do for me? Thanks

Here's an example. The white feathers on this duck (left) were overexposed so that details were washed out. I used the recovery slider to bring back those details (right).

Note that you don't have to apply recovery to the whole image. You can generate two exposures from the raw converter, one for the properly exposed parts and one for the over exposed parts. Using layer masks inside Photoshop, you can blend in the recovered parts where you want them (which is what I did here).

recover.jpg

Most reactions

Back