Raw image or jpeg

Naicidrac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a basic question. I was searching the Lexar website and I found this link below. I just want to know how to change a raw image into a jpeg? I was wanting to get the new Nikon D80 and I am trying to figure out what size of card to get. I see that the 1GB card can hold 63 raw images or 208 jpegs so I just wanted to know how to change the image or what that means. Thanks for the help.

http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/capacity_chart_pro.html

RAW is format that contains the raw data right from the camera's sensor. It has not been compressed. I guess you could call it the digital image in it's pure form.

When you set the camera to shoot in JPEG mode, the camera records the image and then throws out a bunch of the information and compresses the data.

A RAW file can easily be turned into a JPEG (or TIFF etc) image with software like Adobe Camera Raw (part of Photoshop) or the software that will be included with the camera.

For more information, check out this site

Thanks Big Mike. I know I can change the image on my computer. So will the camera have a mode that says to shoot in raw image format or in jpeg? since the Lexar website says that info. I assumed that the camera could be put on some kind of setting. Also does the raw image form have more detail? Thanks again.

The camera will have several settings. RAW being the best quality and biggest file. My Canon has many settings of JPEG...several sizes and two quality settings. Personally, I've only used RAW or Large Fine JPEG.

Also, I can set it to record a RAW file plus a JPEG file.

The RAW file has does have more detail...although it would be hard to tell with the naked eye. A big difference is the color depth. RAW files use a lot of colors (16 bit) while JPEG is only 8 bit (I think).

Also, RAW images don't have some of the in-camera settings permanently applied to them. White balance for example. With a JPEG shot, the WB of the image is set at what the camera was set to. You can alter the color of the image but you are actually changing the image which will degrade the quality. With a RAW file, you can change the WB setting when you open/convert the file. This is great because you can change the WB of the image if you didn't have it set correctly when shooting.

With that all said, I don't think anyone will disagree that RAW is the best format. However, that doesn't mean that shooting in JPEG isn't OK. I often shoot JPEG when I know that the images won't make it farther than a computer screen or a 4x6 print.

Nikon DSLRs have a menu setting that controls the recorded image format - as far as I know the D80 is very similar to the D70, so should allow you to choose RAW, Jpeg fine (L, M or S), Jpeg medium (L,M or S), or Jpeg Low (L,M or S) - so you can choose file size and image size..... The Raw image has more data, as it is a dump of the CCD before Jpeg compression, so working on it in Photoshop (for example) can give better results. A good free RAW viewer is Irfanview, if you don't have PS, this will open Nikon format RAW files, and allow you to save as JPEG, Tiff, or whatever.

Edit - Dagnabit!! Beaten to the reply!!.. What he said :lol:

Yes I have PS version CS2. It looks like B&H sells the 1GB for $54.95 and a 2GB for like $104.95. I am not sure which one I should get. I don't really plane on taking hundreds of pictures, but when I go on a trip it would be nice to have more pictures since I don't have a laptop. What do you guys think?

I would say get either a sandisk or kingston 2gig for I believe around $85. Save a little money and get the extra space.

newegg.com typically has decent deals on memory. Good luck.

Big Mike said:
...I don't think anyone will disagree that RAW is the best format.

There are plenty of people who would disagree. Just check out the raw vs. jpeg threads over at photo.net. They go on for miles. :)

I like raw. It's the best for the way I work. But I can imagine reasons why a person would choose jpeg over raw. Different folks and different jobs need different options, and that's why we have a choice.

"best" was not the best word I could have used to express what I was trying to say.

I know that plenty of people prefer to use JPEG but I would think that even those people recognize that RAW is 'superior' in many ways...even though it may not be the best format for them personally.

I shoot on nothing but 1GB cards, I would rather have several dozen cards than just a few large ones.

If one card fails I lose very little.

RAW schmaw. JPEG, Fine, Large - all you need.

If you're that concerned about white balance, pre-meter off an 18% grey or white card.

Besides, with the size difference, I could WB bracket every shot and still have more raw pics then with raw.

For me shooting RAW has nothing to with white balence, and everything to do with processing options. I cant see any benefit to shooting jpeg other than card space..... but with the price of 1G cards nowadays, i dont see that as a problem either.

However, if you're covering an event such as a party or a wedding and you are going for quantity, getting it right in-camera and no post shoot manipulation.... then jpg is the obvious choice.

I happen to shoot exclusively in jpg as I don't generally have the time and do most of my paid work in a "quantity" mode.

Try both, see which works best for you?

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back