RAW + Jpeg or just RAW?

I find it easier going through the pictures this way than going thruogh them in the raw editor. I just wish microsoft would add a couple tools to the picture viewer, like the ability to see 2 pictures side by side *especially on my widescreen laptop*, and a zoomed in section would be great to, so I can compare facial expressions that much easier and quicker. :) Theres probably a program out there that does this though.

As Big Mike says, there are plenty of programs that do that for raw.

You use a Canon, you should already have one that came with the camera called Digital Photo Professional. This is the one I use. Not
only can you go through and delete what you don't like, but you can edit the raw files and very easily apply the same edits to any selected photos.

I do use Digital Photo Professional, but as I said, I find windows picture viewer easier and quicker to go through the images. I believe with DPP you have to click on each and every image to view it, WPV you can use the arrow keys to see the next image. DPP takes a few seconds to load each picture so I can view the picture, WPV loads the jpg much faster. DPP is harder to navigate the pictures, zoom in and move around, WPV is much easier. :) Especially when your looking at 3 picturs, trying to choose hte best one, going back and forth looking at each aspect, DPP can be annoying for this.

I do use Digital Photo Professional, but as I said, I find windows picture viewer easier and quicker to go through the images. I believe with DPP you have to click on each and every image to view it, WPV you can use the arrow keys to see the next image. DPP takes a few seconds to load each picture so I can view the picture, WPV loads the jpg much faster. DPP is harder to navigate the pictures, zoom in and move around, WPV is much easier. :) Especially when your looking at 3 picturs, trying to choose hte best one, going back and forth looking at each aspect, DPP can be annoying for this.

If you use the Tools|Start Quick Check (Alt-Q) you can preview any selected pictures you want (or if you don't select any, all of them) using the same way that windows does it. From there you can mark pictures with a 1, 2 or 3 (for example, when I go through photos I mark the ones i will delete with a 3). Then, when back at the main screen go to Edit|Select Check Mark3 Images Only, and press delete.

To zoom in and out, just double click the image.

To each their own, just pointing out that DPP does the same as windows :)

I used to shoot in everything: RAW, RAW+Jpeg, Jpeg .... until five seconds later i discovered that with photoshop you can automatically convert huge amount of RAW's to jpegs within minutes.

Now i shoot only in RAW :)

^Batch Processing?

I tried to batch process an entire group of RAWs into JPGs but I had to sit there and okay the RAW viewer each time. Can I turn that off? Or is their a different way to do it that I don't know of? lol

*note to all

Just save yourself the hassle and get Lightroom :)

*note to all

Or save more hassle and get bridge ^_^ It manages all files, as opposed to just pictures.

Seriously Adobe Bridge has been one of my saving graces as a designer and photographer, allowing me to not only sort but rate my files as well as apply tags like "Not complete" ; "Needs Editing" ; "Final Draft" which I find very handy for large projects =]

*note to all

Or save more hassle and get bridge ^_^ It manages all files, as opposed to just pictures.

Seriously Adobe Bridge has been one of my saving graces as a designer and photographer, allowing me to not only sort but rate my files as well as apply tags like "Not complete" ; "Needs Editing" ; "Final Draft" which I find very handy for large projects =]

I used to use Adobe Bridge but stopped when I started using DPP. For Canon XTi at least (I can't speak for any others) the noise is unbearable at even moderate ISOs, and I couldn't never find a decent way to get rid of it. DPPs noise reduction does a perfect job of it.

If not for that, I'd still be using Bridge. I do miss being able to sort photos by rating, something DPP seems to lack.

*note to all

:thumbup: :thumbup:

It does things BRIDGE never can, is faster, and non destructive as well as a great way to catalog all your work.

With Bridge/CS3 I could do a good 200 pictures an evening. With LR, I can do a good 800-900 in the SAME amount of time. Yeah, it is that good!

A guy told me "I feel sorry for all those poeple that have to process a lot of shots and are not using LR..." I know how he feels. If you are NOT using it... do yourself the favor... ge the trial version, learn it and get to know it, becuase you will purchase it and love it... and then feel sorry for all the other people that were you before... lol

When I started with RAW I also used RAW+JPEG. More of a security blanket type of deal because I wasn't too comfortable with touching/processing all the RAW shots.

After about a year, after realizing I do not even look at the JPEGs, today I only do RAW.

I know DPP (Canon) allows you to batch process RAW. I just bought Lightroom II which I'm sure (I hope) also support batch processing - just need to work my way through tutorials.

I just bought Lightroom II which I'm sure (I hope) also support batch processing - just need to work my way through tutorials.
Lightroom doens't 'support' batch processing....it IS batch processing. Non-destructive batch processing. :D

Definitely read a lot of tutorials on it. There is a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it's really powerful.

I tried to batch process an entire group of RAWs into JPGs but I had to sit there and okay the RAW viewer each time. Can I turn that off? Or is their a different way to do it that I don't know of? lol

What software you using? If you're trying to batch process from within Photoshop then you are doing it wrong. You can run a batch job on a large number of images at once directly within Adobe CameraRAW as far as I can remember.

I just bought Lightroom II which I'm sure (I hope) also support batch processing - just need to work my way through tutorials.
Lightroom doens't 'support' batch processing....it IS batch processing. Non-destructive batch processing. :D.

Indeed. The ability to copy and paste settings between images, and groups of images is more powerful than any single batch processor.

Indeed. The ability to copy and paste settings between images, and groups of images is more powerful than any single batch processor.
Actually, I used to use RawShooter Essentials which did that pretty well. Although, it had far fewer settings & options that could be copied.

Most reactions

Back